Should I apply to Cornell?
PJ Outside Europe: Weill Cornell Medical College (Cornell Program)
A split PJ tertial at Weill Cornell Medical College, New York City
Every year, 4 students from the TUM Faculty of Medicine have the opportunity to complete a split PJ term at the Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University and its affiliated teaching hospitals. The weekly case discussion rounds and the annual ICDSS Summer School are an important preparation opportunity for subject and language.
The next Application deadline is by April 1, 2021for rotations from spring 2022.
What? In the Cornell program, students can freely choose from the rotation offer (4 weeks each) of the Weill Cornell Medical College (WCMC). This offers a variety of rotations for all conceivable specialist areas (e.g. Internal Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Orthopedics, etc.)
Where? Most rotations take place at either the New York Presbyterian Hospital - Weill Cornell Medical College or the Hospital for Special Surgery.
When? The dates for the program are not tied to a fixed schedule. Instead, you have to use the rotation data of the WCMC as a guide. The selection process takes place once a year in April.
Money? Although TUM students do not currently have to pay any tuition fees at the WCMC, there are still considerable costs. Therefore it is advisable to try to get a scholarship. You can find possible contacts here.
How? In order to participate in this program, an application to the TUM Medical Education Center is required, which is followed by a selection process.
Participation mode - application process
The details of the application process, Selection criteria and the necessary documents can be found in the file below for download!
Brief information on the application process:
You first apply for selection phase 1 and only need to submit the three documents required for this.
The end of application time is the April 1, 2021 for rotations from spring 2022.
All applicants will be informed by TUM MEC by e-mail by the end of April whether they will be in selection phase 2 or not.
Details on the application process:
You can send the application documents to [email protected] by April 1, 2021, or personally to Ms. Jacqueline Emmerich, M.A. hand in (only during office hours). In this case, please only hand in copies, not originals, the documents will not be returned to you after the procedure has been completed.
It should be noted that when choosing the time period for their rotations, our students must strictly adhere to the American system, which does not allow any time deviations or shifts. Recognition is still guaranteed!
The selected applicants undertake to finally write an experience report, which will then be published on this website. Please send the experience report immediately after your stay to: [email protected]
The CDR is a great help in preparing for work in the American system.
Please note that a Participation in the CDR or the ICDSS (applies to participation from 2016) to the Application requirements belongs.
From now on the following also applies: In addition to proof of regular attendance at the CDR, one too Case according to the scheme taught there to prepare and present depending on the availability of dates.
As of now, applications for the FY program at Weill Cornell Medical College will only be accepted if one regular participation in the CDR is demonstrable and prepared a case has been.
Application to Weill Cornell Medical College:
The path through the organizational jungle sounds banal:
- A letter or letter of recommendation to the WCMC for the official processing of the application
- An appointment at the US embassy for the purpose of a visa (in the case of a stay longer than 90 days) or the application for an ESTA approval (in the case of a stay of less than 90 days)
- Some phone calls for accommodation
Nevertheless, the processing is associated with a lot of organizational effort. Because despite your selection on the German side, there still has to be one complete "application", especially of course with the selection of rotations at Weill Cornell Medical College respectively.
Your most important contact person at the WCMC is Ms. Dianne Young in their functional MPH Global Health Electives Coordinator. After you have made your selection, introduce yourself briefly to her by email. She is extremely helpful in further organization. Then it is important to organize the necessary documents in the shortest possible time and send them to Dianne Young in full.
The Application Guidelines can be found on the Cornell homepage. There you will also find all the forms required for your application, including the form for the health certificate.
Important: Please follow the guidelines carefully and only contact the Office of Global Health Education (Dianne Young) regarding your application. Cornell explicitly advises that you should NOT contact the clinical departments directly. If so, Cornell threatens to be expelled from the Cornell program.
Notes on the visa:
For rotations that do not exceed 90 days, entry into the USA without a visa is possible as part of the Visa Waiver Program. For this purpose, an ESTA authorization must be applied for in advance. For stays longer than 90 days, Weill Cornell Medical College recommends applying for a B1 / B2 visa. Please note that Cornell does not support J1 visa applications!
You can find the latest information on visa application on the US Embassy website. The organization of the visa is the sole responsibility of the student. The TUM Faculty of Medicine can provide support by issuing any necessary letters of recommendation / confirmation. However, she bears no responsibility and has no influence on the decisions of the respective US consular officers!
Danger: Acceptance to the Cornell program does not automatically mean that your visa is approved! The visa decisions are always subject to a case-by-case examination by the responsible consular officer and a refusal can be made without giving any specific reasons!
New York is expensive and fully booked! It is therefore important to make a reservation in good time! You can also find tips for finding accommodation on the Cornell website. Basically you can start your search here.
Two tips: for men that Kolpinghouse (20 min on foot and subway), for women who St. Mary's Residence (5 minutes on foot).
An alternative to the apartments from Francis Freedman (Tel. 212-988 6090) could be the following address: Die De Hirsch Residence on Y 92nd Street (Lexington and E 92nd St) has small but fully furnished rooms.
With the New York Presbyterian Hospital (NYP) and the attached Memorial Hospital, the Weill Cornell Medical College offers almost the full spectrum of medical disciplines. Accordingly, the number of rotations offered is enormous and ranges from basic skills to highly specialized specialist knowledge.
For orientation and selection for your stay, you can:
- Consult the Medical School's Course Catalog. Please note that when registering for the courses you have to enter the abbreviation which also shows the clinic in which the rotation takes place (e.g. OBGY 8998 09 WCM means Ob / Gyn Independent Elective at Weill Cornell Medical College)
- Read testimonials on rotations that previous Cornell students have completed (see files below for download).
Even if participants in the PJ program at the WCMC do not have to pay any fees for the rotation at the moment - living in New York can easily be spent $ 1,200.00 per month.
But that shouldn't be a reason to shy away from participating in the program. After all, there is the possibility of receiving a scholarship for the stay abroad.
Here are some tips:
- Scholarship holders from the Studienstiftung or a funding agency (e.g. Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung, Hanns-Seidel-Stiftung, Cusanuswerk, Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung etc.) can inquire with the grantor whether additional financial support is offered for stays abroad.
- For internships abroad with a duration of at least 12 weeks you can apply for BAFöG abroad.
- The agencies Sobe & Partner award travel grants for the PY. You can find more details at www.medizinernachwuchs.de Funding / scholarships abroad.
- If you are planning to spend at least 2 PJ-Tertiale (8 months) abroad, a one-year scholarship from the DAAD could be of interest. However, it is important to note the very early application deadline!
- The financial services company MLP awards grants every year. More at: http://www.medicalexcellence.de/
This section is aimed at the selected participants and is intended to briefly introduce what is on offer in and around the New York Presbyterian Hospital. With the appropriate know-how, there is a lot cheaper or free ...
- Books ... can be found in the library at the 68th Street entrance. Well sorted, with a large journal archive and many online resources. If you want to buy something, you will find a medical bookstore right across the street on 68th Street.
- Doctor's coats ... should be short, adapted to the "student look". Expensively available in the above-mentioned bookstore, cheaply in Office O110 in Olin Hall
- Gym ... means something like gym and fitness studio. There is one in the basement of the Olin Hall. To gain access, you can have your ID in Office 110 (Olin Hall) equipped with a corresponding batch free of charge
- Cinema / shows ... can be booked much cheaper through the Human Resources office. This can be found in the Sloan Kettering Hospital, 1st floor behind the C-Elevators.
- Orientation - so that you can find your way, here is the link to the hospital plans
- Are DP problems backtracking with memoization
- Constipation may cause mild fever
- What are the advantages of smart homes
- Which gas is exhaled from the lungs
- Can be anodized stainless steel
- Removes CCleaner cookies
- How can I start learning OpenWrt
- Why is WordPress so important for web design
- The rock cycle always happens
- What is the best source for umami
- Who will expose the debunkers
- How can you fix crossed eyes
- What's in the Giza pyramid
- How can we say chill in Japanese
- Michael Wolfe is rich
- Can I rotate a Tempur Pedic mattress
- What is the LDS lifestyle like
- Why should i visit Udaipur
- Which retail company pays a livable wage
- Why is salt used in the ice cream factory
- What is compartmentalization in psychology
- What is the science behind the human personality
- Best Android Apps January 2013
- What causes car tires to wobble
- What are different academic statistical disciplines
- Prostate cancer treatment is an emergency
- How was slavery abolished in France
- What is election fraud
- What does an epidemiologist do
- Why are African countries rebuilding their economies
- Why are some people unattractive
- Is buying Instagram followers wise
- How can I see Total Dhamaal 2019