What is the modal verb muss
Modal verbs in German grammar
What are modal verbs?
modal verbs are the verbs in German may, can, like, must, should and want. These verbs usually need another verb (the main verb) in the infinitive. Modal verbs change the content of a statement - for example, it makes a difference whether someone does something got to or may.
Learn how the German modal verbs are formed and used in the different tenses and then test your knowledge in the exercises.
When do you use modal verbs in German?
With modal verbs we change the meaning of a sentence. There is a difference between being something want, may or got to.
- Max wants to be a car mechanic.
- Max is allowed to become a car mechanic.
- Max is supposed to be a car mechanic.
We usually use modal verbs with the infinitive of the main verb.
- Max wants a mechanic become.
When the main verb is taken for granted, we often leave it out in everyday language.
- Do you speak german (speak)?
- Do you want a pizza (eat)?
- I can do that (do).
Formation of the modal verbs in different tenses
- In the present and past tense we use the finite form (see conjugation table). In the perfect tense we use the infinitive of the modal verb.
How are German modal verbs conjugated?
In the following table you will find the conjugation for all German modal verbs in the present and past tense as well as the forms for participle II and subjunctive II.
* to like is mostly used today without a main verb - I like you
** want is actually subjunctive II of to like, but is used today in the present tense as a separate modal verb (for the past tense we use want).
- What land forms do volcanoes create
- How do societies influence each other
- Do you write everything the truth
- What are some examples of resonance frequencies
- Does medicine work better with food?
- Why was Transformers Energon so bad
- How does sampling and streaming change the music?
- How do you see someone's soul
- Dentists grind off the permanent mounting adhesive
- Who is the Greatest British Statesman
- What are common misunderstandings about English grammar
- What is Intel Internet of Things
- What are some girly room ideas
- Are long, strenuous cardio workouts unnatural?
- How can I start learning OpenWrt
- Printer ink cartridges are hazardous waste
- Is free open source software the future
- Every other engineering profession is now obsolete
- A mild allergy can become serious
- What's your favorite meme picture
- How was smoking dealt with on airplanes
- What is sad about Emperor Palpatine
- Are TEDx calls displayed in TED com
- Who sings the song Suge