When will the cold be unstoppable?
Getting rid of the common cold quickly: drugs for treatment
The popular saying goes: "A cold comes for three days, stays for three days and goes for three days." Nevertheless, we are not completely exposed to the annoying complaints, but can combat them with medication. You can find out how to get rid of a cold quickly here.
You can find the information you need here:
- Drugs with decongestants help clear the airways.
- Combination products relieve several cold symptoms.
- Expectorants can liquefy the secretion and make breathing easier.
- Essential for getting rid of a cold quickly: drink a lot!
- Relaxation, fresh air and warmth strengthen the body's defenses.
Antibiotics do not work against cold viruses, only against bacteria.
A cold can be combated with different preparations. Depending on the severity of the cough, runny nose, etc., various remedies can be helpful: Some help you clear your nose, while others aim to alleviate the pain.
Medicines are usually used against the symptoms of a cold - not against the most responsible pathogens (viruses) themselves. Our tip: Don't wait too long to resort to resources and find out more about a selection of options here.
Cold remedies and combination preparations
Did you know that most people with colds struggle with different symptoms at the same time? For this reason, medical professionals also speak of one Multi-symptom complex. If you are affected by symptoms such as headaches, tiredness or runny nose during the course of the cold, you can either use a separate preparation for each symptom (whereby the interactions must be taken into account) or a combination drug.
Such cold remedies are usually available in pharmacies without a prescription. Combination preparations contain two or more active ingredientsso that therapy can be simplified.
Your doctor or pharmacist will inform you about the different combinations available and how you can best relieve cold symptoms. For cold-related pain such as headaches and sore throats, many rely on the combination of the active ingredients paracetamol and phenylephrine. While the former has pain relieving properties and can lower fevers, phenylephrine causes the nasal lining to swell. The GeloProsed®Oral powder contains these two proven active ingredients.
Other medications to treat your cold
In addition to the combination preparations, there are other remedies that can help you get rid of your cold symptoms quickly. These include:
- Expectorant: You can counteract unpleasant congestion of secretion in the nose with the help of so-called expectorants. The herbal preparation GeloMyrtol® forteis suitable for the treatment of the upper as well as the lower respiratory tract in order to free them.
- Fever reducer: In addition to relieving pain, some pain relievers also have an antipyretic effect. If you have a fever, it is best to consult your doctor, because not every preparation is suitable for every patient.
- Painkiller: Ibuprofen, paracetamol and Co. can relieve pain that occurs as part of a flu-like infection (e.g. earache). Find out about tolerance from a doctor beforehand.
Beware of procrastination and chronic illness
Do you have the feeling that your cold is not going away? Then don't hesitate any longer and visit your family doctor. Because although the common cold is usually harmless, symptoms related to the common cold should definitely be taken seriously and treated appropriately. Otherwise there is a risk that a Cold dragged on becomes.
This is the case, for example, when the viscous mucus is not removed. In the course of a simple cold, it is possible that the pathogens that trigger the cold can spread through the opening between the nose and paranasal sinuses and cause sinusitis. Such inflammation can also arise when pathogens get through blowing your nose too vigorously be pressed into the sinuses.
As the upper and lower respiratory tract form a unit (United Airways), it is possible that the infection could also spread to the lower respiratory organs. Doctors call this process one Change of floor. A bronchitis (an inflammation of the bronchi), which is accompanied by an uncomfortable cough, is then possible as a result.
Whether inflammation of the paranasal sinuses or bronchi: Both are diseases that usually last longer than a cold and in the worst case can even develop into a chronic form. The chronic sinusitis represents a secondary disease of the acute form - of one chronic bronchitissmokers are often affected.
Home remedies are still considered good measures to get rid of a cold quickly. Potato wraps, onion juice, and chicken soup are just a few examples that can help with recovery. But above all it is important a lot to drinkto get rid of a cold quickly. Two to three liters a day are recommended for healthy adults.2 Specific coldstees help relieve the cough and liquefy the mucus in the nose. Sage, chamomile or elderflower teas are particularly popular. Find out about all other quick remedies for colds in our home remedy guide:
To the home remedies for colds
This is how you strengthen your immune system
There are some general measures to consider when the immune system is in full swing - like with a cold - or is deserving of rest. Get inspiration here on how you can get rid of a cold quickly and strengthen your immune system:
- Rest and relaxation: Since your body fights the cold viruses and needs a lot of energy, you are doing yourself something good if you get enough sleep and little stress.
- A balanced diet: Minerals and vitamins are important for your organism to get and stay healthy. Vegetables, fruit and tea are great. Alcohol and ready meals flop.
- Fresh air: Slow walks can help you relieve cold symptoms, as exercise stimulates the circulation and strengthens the immune system. If walks are still too strenuous for you: Regularly ventilate your living space to exchange stale and virus-laden air for fresh air.
- Warm clothing: If you have a sore throat, wear a scarf or scarf around your neck to keep it warm. It is also important to keep your feet warm - because if they are frozen through, this leads to poor blood circulation in the entire body. If the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract are poorly supplied with blood, it is easier for pathogens such as cold viruses to spread.
These tips are also considered helpful pointers to prevent a cold.
- How can I get rid of a cold quickly?
You can treat a cold with different medicines, for example herbal medicines. In addition to taking such preparations, you should definitely take it easy and rest: Sufficient sleep and plenty of drink are important.
- Should I go out into the fresh air if I have a flu?
Fresh air helps you get your immune system going. Light walks are therefore often recommended. Make sure, however, that you are doing well and that you dress warmly enough. Find out in our guide how much exercise is allowed if you have a cold.
- How long does it take for a cold to go away?
As a rule, typical cold symptoms subside within one to two weeks, after which you should feel better again.3
- What to do if a cold doesn't go away
If your cold-related symptoms do not subside or even get worse, it is essential to see your doctor. He will advise you on treatment options. In this way you can prevent complications or the spread of the common cold.
You might also be interested in these articles:
- How effective are PBNs in search engine optimization
- What is the best car on the market
- What can George Lucas actually do?
- Can my dog eat fried chicken bones
- Who is the next Steve Reich
- Who was the wife of Abhimanyu
- Why do people buy early access games
- All intelligent persons are wise
- EVERY Facebook alternative
- When does morale rise above professional ethics?
- How can I overcome temptation effectively
- Have you ever revisited a previous relationship?
- Beruit is the capital of the country
- Can high school students participate in the IB program
- What is Operation Kamala
- What is the merchant marine doing
- Why did you root your Android device?
- What is your rating of InterNations
- Is household garbage worth the money
- Why do we send people to Mars
- Would you go on a blind date
- Which opera singers have which roles
- When is International Cat Day
- How old was the oldest cat