Has injured Democrats standing behind Ilhan Omar
Anti-Semitism in the US Congress : Shooting star Ilhan Omar as a problem case
It's not going to be quiet around Ilhan Omar. And that seems to be quite right for the 37-year-old Democrat from Minnesota, who was elected as one of the first two Muslims to the US Congress in November. Because it is she herself who keeps fueling the debate.
Her Twitter comments from February that the Israel-friendly stance in the USA was due to donations from a pro-Israel lobby group sounded like well-known anti-Semitic stereotypes in the ears of many: the powerful Jewish lobby buys politics with a lot of money. The excitement was great, Omar apologized with the rather naive words, it was very not clear to her that her words were hurtful.
But shortly afterwards the MP followed suit and used the - also well-known - cliché that Jews outside Israel have a split loyalty to their homeland. She reproached party friends for having "sworn allegiance to a foreign country" with her support for Israel. This argument is extremely dangerous, as it has repeatedly led to hatred of Jews who allegedly wanted to harm the country in which they live. An American congressman should know this. Ilhan Omar doesn't seem like a politician who doesn't know what she's doing. So why is she doing it? Your critics say because they are testing how far they can go. Because she believes that this strategy catches the eye with many.
The Republicans are happy about the dispute
Apparently, this is catching on with significantly more Democrats than expected. The attempt by Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic majority leader in the House of Representatives, to pacify the conflict with a resolution against anti-Semitism failed. The 78-year-old had underestimated the resistance in her much more colorful, younger and more contentious faction. Even three presidential candidates had previously sided with Omar: Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren and Kamala Harris, all three representatives of the left wing of the party. The result was just a general resolution condemning attacks against minorities. What remained was a duped parliamentary group leader who a few weeks ago had herself immortalized on the cover of "Rolling Stone" with Omar and two others from the group of newly elected popular parliamentarians.
For the Republicans, the internal party squabbles of the Democrats are a gift, as they distract from the various negative reports of the past few weeks. They are calling for Somali-born Omar to withdraw from the Foreign Affairs Committee or, ideally, to resign as a member of parliament. And US President Donald Trump declared that the Democrats had "become an anti-Israel and anti-Jewish party". An accusation that hurts - and that could unsettle many moderate Democratic voters, not to mention Jewish voters, who are one of the most loyal groups of voters. Some comments already say: If the Democrats continue like this, Trump will soon have his re-election in his pocket.
- What are ASL grammar rules
- When does Concerta expire
- What is image processing with MATLAB
- May Allah violate his own laws
- Do narcissists enjoy watching you suffer
- Who sings the song Nowhere Man
- When do our frontal lobes stop growing?
- I'm confused. Does this girl like me
- How do Palestinians feel about Saudi Arabia?
- How do animal camouflages develop
- Who created astrology
- Terry Pratchett was an atheist
- What will happen to Dubai after 2050
- Internet providers will block Netflix
- Therapists give good advice on love life
- How to make sauce without flour
- How bad is the California fire
- What is the most counterfeit brand in the world
- What is an angry litigator
- What is the most competitive exam in India
- Dear Quorans, why did you smile today?
- All common instruments use chords
- Is Saudi Arabia an ethnostat
- Where is the fashion trade going
- Do animals process information faster than humans
- Which animal has the most bones?
- Vandals pull the plug out of the socket
- Is it good or bad about masturbation
- What role does the functionalist paradigm play
- What is NetSuite OpenAir
- Why do we need automation
- What is the Hebrew word for ball
- What makes a book worm a book worm
- What is a detox unit