Can non-metals react with metals?
What is a metal / semi-metal / non-metal?
What are metals
Metals can be found anywhere in your life. Be it the heated car roof in summer, the copper wire in your headphones or while pouring lead on New Year's Eve. There are many different metals that fulfill different functions, but they also have something in common, which we now want to look at.
Properties of metals
All elements that are combined in the group of metals share some characteristics. Metals are very good at warmth and electricity direct and own relatively high Melting and boiling points (Mercury is an exception, as it is liquid at room temperature). You can recognize them by the fact that their surface is shiny. If an element lacks some of these properties, then it is a non-metal or semi-metal. In the following picture I would like to show you which elements belong to the metals in the periodic table.
As you can see here, a variety of the elements on the periodic table are metals. They are also called because of their good conductivity for heat and electricity ladder. Among them there are some special metals that I would now like to introduce to you. In the first main group (this is the first column in the periodic table) are the so-called Alkali metals. They are characterized by the fact that they only have one electron in their outermost electrons and therefore react very quickly with other substances. The alkali metals include $ lithium (Li) $, $ sodium (Na) $, $ potassium (K) $, $ rubidium (Rb) $, $ cesium (Cs) $ and $ francium (Fr) $. Another special feature of these metals is their low density, which means that they are very soft and can be easily cut through with a knife, for example.
In the second main group of the periodic table there are the so-called Alkaline earth metals. They include $ beryllium (Be) $, $ magnesium (Mg) $, $ calcium (Ca) $, $ strontium (Sr) $, $ barium (Ba) $ and $ radium (Ra) $. All metals in this group have two outer electrons and are very light (due to their low density). For this reason they are also called Light metals.
The name alkaline earth metal results from the two neighboring groups. In the first main group there are the alkali metals and in the third main group the elements of the boron group, which used to be the name Earth metals carried.
TheBoron groupthe elements $ Bor (B) $, $ Aluminum (Al) $, $ Gallium (Ga) $, $ Indium (In) $ and $ Thallium (Tl) $ belong to. Even if boron gives this group its name, this element is the only one that does not belong to the group of metals. Although it has some properties of metals, it does not meet all of the properties that you have already come across in the text. An element that only fulfills part of the metallic properties will also beSemi-metalcalled.
What is a semi-metal?
The semi-metals differ in the way in which they can conduct electricity and heat. They do not do this as well as metals, which is why they are also called semiconductors. On the outermost shell, the atoms of the semi-metal elements have three to six electrons (depending on which group they are in) and can both accept and release electrons during a chemical reaction. The semi-metals include the elements $ boron (B) $, $ silicon (Si) $, $ germanium (Ge) $, $ arsenic (As) $, $ selenium (Se) $, $ antimony (Sb) $ and $ tellurium (Te) $.
The division in the periodic table
In the following graphic I would like to show you where you can find the metals, semi-metals and non-metals in the periodic table.
As you can see here, there are very many metals (green) in the periodic table. These are separated from the non-metals (pink) by the semi-metals (blue).
Now you should know everything there is to know about the Metals, semi-metals and non-metals and their properties and know where to find the respective elements in the periodic table. You can now share your new knowledge in ours Exercises test out. We wish you a lot of fun and success!
- What is the story of Avogadros constant
- Can we do distance learning in IIM
- What are some eye catching mirror photos
- What exactly is CH3OH
- Is this line in iambic pentameters
- Can you decipher the word tfel
- How did Great Britain get Gibraltar from Spain
- What does CGPA stand for
- Is the second birth after death
- What does homonym mean
- How do companies print wristbands
- What kind of meditation will help you lose weight
- Who are Blueocean Market Intelligences Competitors
- Can my dog eat fried chicken bones
- Have you ever had trouble feeling emotions
- Who were some of Jesus' friends?
- What does Isha mean in Arabic
- Why are radial engines not used in vehicles?
- Should cigarettes be put back into MRES
- How are transgender people treated in Brazil
- What are the hidden facts about Hinduism
- What are the different breeds of donkeys
- Can I rewrite lyrics to copyrighted songs?
- Why is pink considered a secondary color
- Why is Nancy Ajram famous
- What is the meaning of number seven
- What's the story behind stone soup
- Can the Luftwaffe wear army straps
- Yoga teachings are proven in real life
- Do you have a favorite cousin
- What is Sonar 1
- What does service not available
- Seattle has good Thai food
- A non-metal reacts with hydrogen