What percentage of tips makes a server happy
Everyday pitfalls : Should you tip the pizza delivery boy?
The reader's question: Since our child was born, we have stayed at home more often. Instead of going to the restaurant, we order from the delivery service. Now we asked ourselves whether the messenger who brings the food into the house should also be tipped. That's what you do in a restaurant.
Elisabeth Binder's answer: The topic of "tips" is one of the long-running hits, and the answers keep raising new questions. Just recently it was about the fact that in a restaurant, if you are satisfied and the bill is still in the double-digit range, ten percent should be used as a rule of thumb. Some readers found that too much. Of course, this is always a matter of discretion. You don't have to stick to unwritten rules. But if you are happy and want to stay in the restaurant you trust, you will probably behave accordingly. In the case of three-digit sums, you can then also reduce the percentage.
From the community
... writes user prokrastes
You should always deal with the working conditions of the people you come into contact with in everyday life and adapt your demeanor to these people accordingly.
In the US there is sometimes even 20 percent!
In the United States, some restaurants have tip calculators that charge 20 percent. However, unlike here, the waiters' main wage is tips.
Whether you tip the messenger is also a question of personal satisfaction. Was he quick? Is he friendly? If it's your impulse to tip, do it. As a request from the delivery service showed, everyone really does it differently. In any case, it is not compulsory. It is difficult to compare the messenger with a waiter. After all, the service in the restaurant is much more extensive. The appearance of the waiters, the type of reception, the whole ambience and the creative forces behind it all contribute significantly to the success of an evening.
Thrift yes, stinginess no
At home, you do this yourself, so strictly speaking, you can keep most of the tip to yourself. To please the messenger with a small gift of one or two euros, precisely because it is not mandatory, can nevertheless contribute to your own well-being. That would be an argument for it. There are always good reasons in favor of thrift. Wherever this just bypasses avarice, an inner voice occasionally announces a warning. You should listen to them. That will also have given you the question.
Please send your questions by post (Der Tagesspiegel, "Immer wieder Sundays", 10876 Berlin) or email them to: [email protected]
Read more in the Tagesspiegel
- What was meditation most helpful for?
- Why is addiction bad
- How do you build a social circle network
- Who Believes in Reincarnation 1
- Which tablet are you using
- How old is the Mahabharat
- Is there a threshold for depression
- How important is the horoscope
- How did Koenig Kanishka die
- How to become a medical inventor
- Which superhero has the least practical costume?
- What is the special theory of relativity
- Who is the famous personality in Egypt
- Should be human beings
- How has being transgender affected your marriage?
- What styles of parenting lead to successful students
- Has anyone ever died in an Uber
- What is the truth behind Jesus' crucifixion
- How many product managers work on Twitter
- Is yogurt good for breast cancer?
- How do you feel after joining MTech
- Why media doesn't highlight the issue of NIT Srinagar
- Do you feel like a train wreck?
- How much does 1500 ml of water weigh
- What are gross motor skills
- Endometriosis can be caused by medication
- Why is obesity rarely seen in Japan
- What is an AV septal defect
- How was the ICO created by Foobar2000
- Which country organizes the longest marathon
- What are the financial functions of Excel
- What's wrong with science
- What do the black hole pictures prove?
- Why is it illegal to rob a bank?