What language did the Franks speak?
Through the dialect jungle
"In Ganns Unnerfrangn there are probably thousands of dialects, gwasi in every place". This is what it says in the Asterix volume "Die Fråche der Ehre" in Main Franconian. It is easy to imagine that around 1000 variants would come together if you take all parts of Franconia together.
Dialects without borders
The dialect is not based on the administrative boundaries of the administrative districts. In the Nuremberg area, for example, Bavarian overlaps with Franconian, and further north, Thuringian. In the southwest, Swabian asserts its influence and in the northwest some speak Hessian.
Soft and transformed
What the Franks have in common is what the linguists call "internal German consonant weakening". P, t and k become to b, d and G soft melted. This is how the Opel becomes the Obel and from the politician of the Bollidiger. To avoid mix-ups, this will be b as "soft b" that p referred to as "hard b". There is also a "soft d" (d) and a "hard d" (t).
And then there is the transformed G. That's not what it is called in Franconia, but Würzburg Wörzburch. Another specialty is the mix of a and Othat sounds like a Nordic nasal, such as in Banana.
Potatoes with a difference
One and the same thing can have completely different names depending on the region. This is clear from the names of Germany's number one side dish. Franconia's spectrum ranges from Potato above Earth pear up to Ground pearwho have also been one Groundberry can be.
- How can you prevent you from going to the dentist?
- How are planets complex
- What Harms Credit Score Score
- What does corn starch do with ice cream
- What's done in San Francisco
- Why are actors called thespians
- Can canned vegetables ever get really bad
- If the water is wet, wood will be burned
- What is the Japanese name of Minerva
- Why are some salts insoluble?
- Can you trust a long distance relationship
- Can someone British join the FBI
- How do I learn scientific spelling
- What have been some successful leveraged buyouts
- Is Quora an acceptable source to quote from
- What is Asrani's best film
- What is the origin of horoscopes
- Where can I find peer-reviewed articles
- What are hard sacrifices
- What is Dedicated Meomry
- How to filter spam in Outlook
- How do the Slovaks feel about the Turkish people?
- What are some common scams in Maharashtra
- What is the future for bioenergy
- How do I learn English online
- What is TSTRANSCO's selection process
- How old is the state of Mississippi
- What does Rodac stand for?
- Why is MTBE added to gasoline
- What's in a scene
- What are the most underrated coffee brands
- Could this be a sign of depression?
- Are there really free universities online