What is the prognosis for diabetic retinopathy
Risk of diabetic retinopathy
Diabetic retinopathy is a pathological change in the retina that mainly people with type 1 and 2 diabetes develop. Doctors can now use the condition of the diseased retina to predict the course of the disease.
People with type 1 and 2 diabetes have an increased risk of developing retinal disease (diabetic retinopathy). In the course of the retinal changes, those affected experience visual disturbances that can even lead to blindness. However, the symptoms do not appear until the disease is advanced. German ophthalmologists therefore call on those affected to have regular early diagnosis examinations.
The condition of the retinal changes provides a prognosis for the disease
In one study, researchers from Boston re-examined diabetic retinopathy. For four years, they analyzed both the central and peripheral retinas of 100 people with diabetes mellitus on the basis of photographic findings. The result: Participants with pathological changes in the retinal periphery have a 3.2-fold increased risk that the eye disease will progress and move into the proliferative stage. During this phase, new vessels form in the vitreous, which severely impair vision. In addition, the experts found that this process becomes more likely the further the retinal changes are extended outside the center.
German ophthalmologists are confirmed in their practice
The results reinforce the opinion of the German ophthalmologists that an early diagnosis examination must also include an examination of the peripheral retina. “A careful examination of the entire fundus is usually only possible after the pupil has been dilated with medication. That is exactly what takes place in Germany as part of the annual screening examination, ”explains Dr. Georg Spital, General Secretary of the Initiative Group “Early Detection of Diabetic Eye Diseases” (IFDA).
Authors10/09/2015 | Julia Schmidt / Professional Association of Ophthalmologists in Germany
- Who would win Cull Obsidian against Thanos?
- Has used Mindy Kaling skin lightening creams
- Excited electrons release gamma rays
- Why was Hyman Minsky marginalized?
- What is a PRB in LTE
- My legs get bigger while cycling
- Is German a wrong language
- Is Capris singular or plural
- What is Julia programming language
- What is solid wood
- How is production planning done in SAP
- How does DNA polymerase work
- Which is the best graphic design company
- What are the best songs with alcohol
- Why is adsorption always isothermal
- What would make you exercise regularly?
- What is PPC in Grade 11 Economics
- How good are products from Khadi India
- What are the top cloud databases
- How can you support autism
- What are sockets and server sockets
- What is chemistry application in computers
- Is PayPal an Indian company or not
- Can a firewall be hardware