How is investment banking as a career
Investment banker: salary, job description and career opportunities
In addition to the above-average salary, the industry also attracts with good career opportunities and interesting content
There are four to five typical career levels in investment banking:
- Vice President
- Managing director
As a beginner, you work as an analyst for two to three years before you reach the next level.
In addition to a high salary and good career opportunities, investment banking above all offers a lot of internationality at work. For Dr. For Philipp Eustermann, who has worked as an analyst in the Investment Banking / Advisory department at HSBC Trinkaus since 2011, it is essential to work very closely with various HSBC colleagues in the group. »Due to our unique position in 80 countries worldwide, we are able to initiate and carry out cross-border transactions. Here I am very excited to be deployed abroad for a longer period of time in a few years. "
Areas of activity of investment bankers
Due to the wide variety of business areas in modern large banks, the application possibilities of bankers are diverse. Basically, one speaks of five or six fields of activity. These include the areas of work:
When an investment banker works in asset management, he looks after large investment portfolios for insurance companies, mutual funds and companies.
In the area of corporate finance, it is important to inform and advise customers about financial products.
Financial engineering experts develop product ranges and financing concepts for business customers in the areas of sales and corporate finance.
The analysts from the ›Research‹ division have to collect and process information about markets, sectors and companies.
The typical ›trader‹ trades in securities, derivatives, bonds, swaps, futures and options of all kinds for the account of the bank or the customer. Whereas the sales manager is responsible for selling the financial products.
- ›Mergers & Acquisitions‹ (M&A)
›Mergers & Acquisitions‹ is considered to be the supreme discipline of investment banking. Because when companies buy other companies, aim for mergers or have to reconstruct, highly complex financial, tax and human factors come together. M&A experts select, analyze and evaluate target companies. Even larger medium-sized companies are increasingly making use of these investment banker's services for their strategic projects.
Requirements for a career as an investment banker
The conditions for a career in investment banking are, in particular, commitment and resilience, because the investment banker's profession is definitely not a 'nine-to-five' job. You receive a reward through varied work processes and constant new challenges.
“On the one hand, the customer is in the foreground and special, tailored ideas and solutions are developed, discussed and presented. Then it comes to the implementation of the suggestions and ideas. Process management and financial knowledge such as evaluations and models play a major role in the development and presentation of customer-specific concepts, ”says Philipp Eustermann.
He adds that an above-average university degree, ideally with an economics background, is a prerequisite for an application as an investment banker - with masters or diploma degrees being preferred. In addition, a future investment banker should enjoy working in teams and ideally already have experience in investment banking or management consulting. Very good knowledge of English and international experience are a matter of course.
Once an applicant has received an invitation from a bank, he should definitely expect three to five structured individual interviews.
"In the end, the most important thing is to be able to convince you of yourself and your specialist knowledge in a conversation," emphasizes the investment banker Eustermann.
- How is glass harmful to the environment?
- How will edge computing change the world
- What is the process of mold remediation
- Which payment gateway does Amazon use
- Is my 167 lsat score good enough
- Nimesulide vs Disprin, which is more harmful
- Which light is best for makeup?
- How does the Japanese particle work
- What is AAPs Arvind Kejriwal doing now
- What was the need to study biochemistry
- Who was the person who divided India
- What is the thermal equation solution
- How much does Port Harcourt to Anambra cost
- How many apps are there in the Playstore
- Statistically, which gender is most divorced
- What is Amazon's revenue distribution
- What kind of software do you do
- What is the most boring Guinness world record
- What is the chinese character for queen
- What is the importance of writing articles
- How easily we can brainwash ourselves
- How can you implement Extreme Programming
- What are the elements of teaching skills
- Which main sport has the weakest athletes?