Has taken over Microsoft Skype
Microsoft confirms takeover of Skype
The software group Microsoft has officially confirmed the takeover of the VoIP provider Skype. A press release said Microsoft is paying $ 8.5 billion to a group around investment firm Silver Lake. The agreement has already been approved by the boards of Microsoft and Skype. Several US media had previously reported a deal on this scale.
The services of both companies are to be brought together closely: Skype is to support Microsoft devices such as Xbox and Kinect as well as the Windows Phone operating system, Microsoft announced. Skype users should also be linked to networks such as Xbox Live and the company's unified messaging via Lync and Outlook. Skype should continue to run on platforms that do not come from Microsoft, the company assured.
[Update: This was also confirmed by Microsoft boss Steve Ballmer on Tuesday when the takeover was announced in Redmond. "We see enormous opportunities," said the CEO, who said he had approached Skype at the beginning of April and made his takeover offer. The price was then agreed in mid-April. The contract was then signed on Monday evening. Microsoft now wants to further develop the Skype brand for consumers and business customers.]
Skype is to form a new business area within the Microsoft group. The previous Skype CEO Tony Bates will be president of the "Microsoft Skype Division" and report directly to CEO Steve Ballmer. He said the VoIP service is loved by millions of people. Together with Skype, Microsoft will contest the future of real-time communication in which all people can easily connect.
The company Skype, founded in 2003, was taken over by the internet auction house eBay in 2005. The investment group around Silver Lake bought the majority of Skype in 2009 and had initially considered taking the VoIP provider to the stock exchange. (anw)Read comments (467) Go to homepage
- Nvidia invented the GPU
- How do I protect OneDrive
- What's your worst party night experience
- What is the resistance of 40 ohms
- Can apply for an IAS IES
- What is the best natural picture
- Where was Tuerkis first found
- Is it okay to wear cloth diapers?
- How is blood filtered in our body
- Why does magnetism occur by moving charges
- Mosquito repellants smell bad Is that true
- Is the Red Hulk stronger than the Hulk
- Can autistic people watch anime
- Score voting is a good idea
- What happens on a book tour
- How can I feel tingly with ASMR
- Is the use of hidden cities legal
- What is the Ordo Salutis in Christianity
- Who was the first feminist writer
- What's your best hip hop music
- How is jQuery used for DOM manipulation
- Why am I born poor
- Does pancytopenia require a bone marrow transplant
- How is TISS balm for psychology