What's in the space between molecules
If atoms approach each other and the charge is shifted synchronously in both atoms, then, from a certain distance, forces of attraction act, which are referred to as van der Waals forces. The positively polarized part of one atom attracts the negatively polarized part of the other atom.
If only one atom has a charge shift (dipole) at the time of approach, it can induce a charge shift in the other atom, so that in turn the positively polarized part of one atom attracts the negatively polarized part of the other atom.
|Approach of a molecule with an asymmetrical charge distribution (A) to a molecule with a symmetrical charge distribution (B)||Induction of a dipole in molecule B and the effect of van der Waals forces|
The possibility of polarization increases with increasing surface area of the atom and is greater the further the outer electrons are away from the nucleus. For this reason, the van der Waals forces increase with increasing atomic or molecular mass.
- Why do I find peace in loneliness
- Are anxiety drugs effective?
- I wish I had a sister
- Contains enamel DNA
- Can brokers work from home
- What are some good food restaurant themes
- Can open Gmail message files
- What is a high definition JPEG
- Malwarebytes is an antivirus program
- What are the top 5 misheard texts
- What is a multi-node instance cluster
- How does an NRE account work
- How is the population of Sofia Bulgaria
- What happens if I put an eyeliner on every day
- What are automated drones
- Has Yosemite Redwoods
- Is math an applied philosophy
- What is a 747
- Can a backlog student prepare a resume
- Printer ink cartridges are hazardous waste
- All fact-checking websites can be considered trustworthy
- What is the scientific definition of health
- How do I stop being a disappointment
- How does turmeric compare to cumin