When do we use vector multiplication
There are three different ways of multiplying vectors:
- First, multiplying a vector by multiplying it by a real number,
- second, the scalar multiplication, in which the result is a real number (i.e. a scalar),
- and thirdly, vector multiplication, the result of which is a vector.
Multiplying a vector
If a vector is multiplied by a real number, then all three coordinates of the vector must be multiplied by that number.
Using numbers, it looks like this:
Danger!!! If as a factor negative numbers are used, the direction of the vector is reversed; a multiplication by
-1 generates the Opposite vector for a given vector (see subtraction of vectors)!
The dot product of two vectors
The second way to multiply vectors is with the scalar product. As the name suggests, the result in this case is a scalar and not a vector. Nevertheless, the scalar product is justified, because the result has a peculiarity that makes the scalar product interesting. In general, we calculate the scalar product by multiplying the coordinates of the vectors in pairs and adding the products:
Note that this multiplication is not by a point but by a small circle is symbolized! Let us now look at two examples with concrete numerical values:
But what is special about the results? As a third example, let's look at two vectors that are perpendicular to each other:
We immediately see that the scalar product is zero - just like that cosine of the angle of 90 ° !!! More detailed investigations then also show the following connection:
For the above example we get:
This knowledge now allows us to determine the angle that two vectors enclose! To do this, we rearrange the above general relationship to the cosine of the angle:
|The animation explains the multiplication of vectors and the scalar multiplication of vectors. |
[Exercises] [back to overview] [cross product]
- General Electric has a high level of employee satisfaction
- How useful can twitter cards really be?
- How much do Cuban cigars cost
- What is Alan Greenspan's legacy
- What is a temporary police chief
- Who sings the song Undecided
- What is a PRB in LTE
- How many words does an education novel contain?
- What are monocot trees
- Is there gluten in jelly?
- Why do people tune pianos?
- Leaving negative energies
- What is the difference between glamping and camping
- Which continent is Alaska on
- Is Iran hospitable to British travelers
- What is hemp extract 1
- How to translate pseudocode into code
- Should I be a doctor or a lawyer?
- Exactly which animals will live in the grasslands
- How do you define evidence
- What is Zoroaster
- Exists Spain
- What are the best books on the game
- How does spirituality feel?
- Why did the IDF shoot Palestinians praying?
- What's on the flag of Ontario
- Can an optician request an ophthalmologist
- Why is paradise always a garden
- Is CBD a good investment
- Which law is violated the most?
- What is the square root of 37
- What is success in the life of doctors
- Is fascism between communism and capitalism
- What is solid wood