Blind people sleep less
Life according to the internal clock
High level of suffering
"For those affected, a high level of suffering arises from the fact that they have to constantly adapt to their own internal clock in everyday social and professional life," explains Fietze. "Symptoms such as insomnia and excessive daytime sleepiness are the result." Patients are hit hardest in phases when their biological day coincides with the exogenous night. During this time they sleep little and poorly and are accordingly tired, rested and only partially productive during the day.
"In contrast to other sleep disorders, in which those affected mostly cannot sleep during the day, patients with non-24 periodically have to fight against falling asleep every day," says the expert. Doctors also speak of an intermittently pronounced sleep disorder, as this occurs episodically and fluctuates in strength. Patients are often only symptom-free on days when the 24-hour day and their internal circadian rhythm run almost parallel.
The non-24 disorder of many completely blind people is often not even known to sleep doctors. It can therefore be assumed that many of the patients are undiagnosed. In order to determine the disease, a specific questionnaire is used in addition to a careful sleep history. In addition, patients should keep a sleep diary for a few weeks to months. This enables the doctor to recognize the individual sleep-wake pattern.
Another method is actigraphy, in which data about movements and sometimes parameters such as brightness and ambient temperature are recorded in order to determine activity and rest cycles. To do this, the patient wears a measuring device that resembles a wristwatch for a few weeks. In some cases, doctors will perform polysomnography or melatonin tests to differentiate other types of sleep disorders. The epiphyseal hormone melatonin is a marker of the circadian rhythm and is released by the body depending on the internal clock (see box). The highest concentration is found in the biological night, while it is only present in extremely small traces in the hours of the biological day.
- Can we control our senses through vibrations?
- How do you feel after joining MTech
- Why do I like to pick crusts
- How does emptiness differ from nothing
- Organic social media is dead for business
- File compression algorithms necessarily contain pointers
- How do I draw a map
- What's next for Scottish football
- Are you an expert in psychic reading?
- What is Jungkook of BTS's hidden talent
- Why is Jimmy Carter not active today
- Can I monetize my TikTok videos?
- What is the sportiest sport
- What do mussels eat
- How long has COPS been on TV
- What are the hardest plants
- A person can be completely honest with himself
- What is the BSE 500 TRI
- What makes the iPhone innovative
- What's your Affordable Care Act story
- Where is the best view of Florence
- What is a fishing gut
- Google Chrome has a dark mode
- How to pronounce AVICII