How much physics is needed for biochemistry
An overview of the right universities and courses of study
- Abitur or other university entrance qualification (it is best to inquire about alternatives at the university)
- partly NC
- first degree (Bachelor or equivalent) in a subject related to biology, chemistry or life sciences
- the bachelor thesis must have been carried out experimentally
- if the language of instruction is English: proof of language proficiency
If chemistry and biology were your favorite subjects at school, that's half the battle. It is ideal if you are also good at maths and not too bad at physics either. Because all of this is the basis of your studies. But it's not just a matter of professional skills. In order to persevere in your studies, you need a large portion of curiosity and a desire to research and try things out. You also have to work very carefully, e.g. when noting and evaluating research results.
Numerus Clausus (NC) for biochemistry
Lucky for you: Not all universities and technical colleges need a Numerus Clausus (NC) for admission. Since science subjects such as biochemistry are rarely overrun, you can often be admitted to the course, even if your final grade is below average.
But that's not the rule, sometimes there is also an NC, for example at the University of Bochum. Here, for example, the NC in the 2017/18 winter semester was 2.2. So you had to have at least a 2.2 on your diploma. Alternatively, you could be admitted with at least 4 waiting semesters.
The first semester of a biochemistry bachelor’s degree is about laying the foundations in all relevant natural sciences. In your module handbook there are mainly topics related to
- Physics and
But resting is not long. Then it goes in depth and the first laboratory internships are on the agenda. Other topics that you will get to know in the biochemistry course include:
- Organic and Inorganic Chemistry
- Analytical chemistry
- Physical chemistry Bioorganic chemistry
- Molecular biology, cell biology, microbiology
- Life sciences
- Genetic engineering (right)
- Laboratory animal science
- Human biology
- Mathematics in the natural sciences
- Biochemical methods
- Structural analysis
Laboratory internships are on the curriculum at most universities every semester. Towards the end of the Bachelor's degree, you are also asked to familiarize yourself with external laboratories, e.g. as part of an internship at a research institute or industrial company.
Choose focal points
No curriculum is set in stone. In the second half of your studies, you can have a say in the design of your studies. Each university offers major subjects that are free to choose. That can be something in the field of molecular biology, bioanalytical chemistry or bioorganic chemistry - just what your university offers and what interests you particularly.
Choosing a focus makes sense not only because you will enjoy your studies, but also because you can gain even better qualifications for certain professional activities. Anyone who has specialist knowledge in one area has a clear advantage!
- Graduation: Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.)
- Duration: 6 semesters
- Type of study: Full time
- Particularities: Depending on the university, a stay abroad is possible.
- Graduation: Master of Science (M.Sc.)
- Duration: 4 semesters
- Type of study: Full time
- Particularities: Some master’s programs are offered in English.
With a degree in biochemistry, be it a bachelor's or master's degree, you are a sought-after specialist in life science companies, research institutes, the pharmaceutical industry, the food industry, other types of industrial companies, but also management consultancies or specialist publishers.
Because in addition to research, your knowledge is also open to activities outside of science. An industrial company that produces technically sophisticated materials of a biochemical nature can use you in product development and quality management, but also in sales, marketing and customer service. After all, you know the product from A to Z and know exactly what is important when it comes to marketing. A specialist publisher for scientific publications needs your knowledge as an editor, lecturer or consultant. You can also write scientific articles for magazines, contribute to school books or provide technical support for a publication.
What you do with your biochemistry degree is entirely up to you: business or research - both are possible!
What does a biochemist earn on average? According to Salary.de, the range in biochemistry is between 3,235 and 4,882 euros gross / per month. That alone doesn't help much, of course, you have to take a closer look: Where do biochemists earn the most, and where rather little?
Well, in the technology area, i.e. in development and production at industrial companies, you can usually earn very good money. Salaries of 4,000 euros and significantly more are the rule. Because what applies to all classical engineering sciences also applies here: specialist knowledge is in demand and is well paid for. But you won't be impoverished in research either. The salary here is often regulated by collective agreements, especially if you work in the public sector. So if you already have a dream employer in mind, you can find corresponding salary tables on the Internet.
Biochemists who hold managerial or other managerial positions have the best salary prospects. Anyone who leads a team, coordinates a project or is responsible for an entire area can usually look forward to salaries of more than 5,000 euros.
The following article gives you a good overview of the salary opportunities in technical jobs:
The Engineer Salary - An overview of the income of young professionals and professionals
- Which operating systems could replace Windows 10?
- What is a rice grinder
- When is archery season in Texas
- Quora frowned when asked about cannabis
- How is tempura ice cream made
- What are some of the best cookbooks
- What's in common between Adele and Sia
- Do you know someone with a gambling disorder?
- Why is Pinterest viewed as a social network
- How can I start learning OpenWrt
- Are there Christian Egyptians
- What does A tout vent
- What is San Jose California famous for
- Quora frowned when asked about cannabis
- How is brain health measured
- What's your favorite pizzeria in Phoenix
- How does chickenpox start in adults
- Why should extraterrestrials kill us?
- How close are we to world peace
- Poland has enemies
- Why does the government support unethical experiments
- What is feof in C 1
- Why unspoken feelings never die
- Are there followers of the old religions
- How does Carfax get vehicle information
- What do all books have
- Which state best represents Mexico
- Reliance Jio follows the principles of net neutrality
- Where is Minsk 1
- Why do students fall in love with their teachers
- Who can make a time machine
- Where can I download Suits Season 1
- The sun can magnetically attract energy