Why do we need skin
How does the skin work?
The skin has a multitude of functions. As a stable but flexible cover, it protects the body from harmful environmental influences such as moisture, cold and sun rays as well as from pathogens and toxins.
The appearance of the skin provides a whole range of information at a glance - such as age and health status. Many diseases show up in a changed skin color or structure: people with too few red blood cells in their blood are pale, for example, and if the liver is inflamed, the skin turns yellow.
The skin also plays a vital role in regulating body temperature. It protects against dehydration and excessive exposure to extreme heat or cold. In addition, the body absorbs sensory impressions through the skin and makes it possible to feel warmth, cold, pressure, itching or pain. Some of these stimuli trigger a reflex: for example, we automatically pull our hand back if we accidentally touch a hot stove.
The skin also serves as a large reservoir for the body: water and fat can be stored in the subcutaneous tissue, but metabolic products can also be deposited. In addition, products that are important for the whole body are produced here.
In the event of injuries, the skin is supplied with more blood. Various components of the blood protect against inflammation and ensure that the wound can close. Cells later emerge to form new skin and blood vessels. Depending on how deep the wound is, it will heal with or without a scar.
In order to be able to perform all these tasks, the skin has three layers with different properties: the epidermis, the dermis and the subcutaneous tissue. The skin is also of different thicknesses depending on the region of the body and the level of stress. The thickness of the skin also depends on a person's age and gender: Overall, older people have thinner, men have thicker skin than women.
- Has your car ever been wrecked?
- What is the show Big Brother about
- Where did the Swedes come from?
- Why is Uranus called the Salto Planet
- How do you build a railroad
- How is tempura ice cream made
- Are vidyamandir classes good for IIT
- What is the full form of NTFS
- SQLite is an in-memory database
- What kind of stews can you do
- What makeup goes with a silver dress
- Why is carbon used for water treatment
- What are the main problems of epistemology
- Did Tyrion die in Game of Thrones
- Where there is less rainfall in India
- What is Appcues
- Type club for free
- According to religion, what will humanity believe in
- Are Kakashi and Zabuza considered to be S rank
- What does user experience design require
- What is the training of Aniruddha Nazre
- Which is better PS2 PS3 or PS4
- What is a commercial concrete batching plant
- How are the powers of the US presidents controlled