What dogs can't eat

What are dogs not allowed to eat?

A nice dog look is enough and you can discreetly drop a delicious bite from the table. Occasional delicacies from the table don't hurt, right? Thought wrong. Unfortunately, many are supposedly harmless foodsabsolutely poisonous for dogs!

Ten Toxic Foods for Dogs

You wonder what dogs are not allowed to eat? We have put together an overview of the most popular foods that dogs shouldn't eat. If you make sure that your dog avoids these, you can protect him from poisoning.

What are dogs not allowed to eat?

1. Onions & Garlic

While they add great taste to our food, onions and garlic are poisonous to dogs. No matter whether raw, cooked or dried - no dog should eat the leeks. The essential oilscontain sulfur substancesthat destroy the red blood cells of the four-legged friend. This leads to anemia, which in the worst case can be fatal.

You can recognize poisoning by blood in the urine, changes in the blood count, jaundice, vomiting, diarrhea and refusal of water and food.

2. Potatoes, Eggplant & Tomatoes

Some vegetables are also unsuitable for dogs in their raw state. These include potatoes, aubergines and tomatoes, which belong to the nightshade family. All three contain the Toxin solaninewhich occurs mainly in the green areas. Raw or sprouting potatoes are particularly dangerous for dogs. It is also important to throw away the cooking water, as this is where the toxins collect. Overripe tomatoes without green spots are harmless when raw.

If the dog has eaten raw and immature nightshade plants that contain solanine, the following can occur Symptoms occur: diarrhea, vomiting, disorders of brain function and irritation of the mucous membranes.

3. Raw legumes

Uncooked legumes pose a danger not only to dogs but also to humans. Raw beans, peas and the like contain thePhasin toxin and because of this they can only be enjoyed cooked. When consumed raw, the phasin inhibits protein synthesis in the small intestine and causes the red blood cells to clump together. Consumption of larger quantities can therefore be fatal.

Symptoms The poisoning includes diarrhea, vomiting, fever and abdominal cramps. In the worst case, liver swelling or bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract can occur.

4. Fruit kernels

In general, the consumption of stone fruits such as cherries, peaches or plums is safe for dogs. Only those are dangerous Cores. They containthe poison cyanidewhich is converted to hydrocyanic acid in the stomach. As a result, the acid blocks cell division, the cells die and the dog suffocates internally. In addition, the risk of injury and clogging when swallowing the fruit kernels should not be ignored. So remove the pips before feeding any fruit!

If a dog swallows a fruit core, they can Symptomssuch as shortness of breath, diarrhea, fever, convulsions, and vomiting occur. There is a risk of acute poisoning.

5. Avocado

The avocado is a superfood for us humans, whereas it can have negative effects on dogs. The Avocado pulp is indigestible for animal friends and there is an acute risk of suffocation if the kernel is swallowed. The fruit and its effects on dogs has not yet been fully explored. It is known, however, that some avocado varieties have the Toxin persin contain. This can damage the heart muscle and ultimately even lead to the death of the dog. Since laypeople can hardly differentiate between the poisonous and non-poisonous varieties, it is advisable to refrain from feeding altogether.

If the animal is poisoned, kick Symptomssuch as shortness of breath, palpitations, diarrhea and vomiting. The poisoning can also cause fluid to build up in the abdominal cavity. The well-known high fat content of the fruit can lead to diarrhea and vomiting.

6. Raisins & grapes

Grapes and thus also raisins contain the Oxalic acid, a toxin. In some breeds of dog, this substance can cause, in the worst case scenario, fatal kidney failure. Particularly small breeds, such as the Maltese or Yorkshire Terriers, can show the first symptoms after consuming small amounts. The more grapes or raisins the dog eats, the greater the risk. Even if you are not sure whether your dog can tolerate the fruit, you should avoid it.

Possible SymptomsVomiting, diarrhea, listlessness, and stomach cramps can occur with poisoning.

7. Chocolate & Cocoa

Chocolate and cocoa are also deadly foods. The one contained in the products Theobromine is poison to dogs. The proportion of theobromine increases with the cocoa content. This means that dark chocolate contains more of the toxic substance than milk chocolate. Even a small amount can lead to cardiovascular failure and ultimately death in dogs. The substance is not only found in cocoa, but also in tea.

Symptoms, The symptoms of poisoning are convulsions, cardiac arrhythmias, breathing difficulties and impaired consciousness, vomiting or diarrhea.

8. Raw pork

Raw pork itself is not toxic, but eating it raw can lead to infectionAujeszky virus to lead. This herpes virus is harmless to humans, but it can cause an incurable disease in dogs. The virus causes inflammation of the nerves and brains that lead to the death of the animal. If you cook the meat at at least 60 ° degrees, the pathogens die and you can feed it without hesitation.

Some Symptomssuch as loss of appetite, fits of rage, restlessness, changes in personality, foaming, tics or cramps can occur if the four-legged friend is infected with the Aujeszky virus. The disease leads to the death of the animal within two days of the onset of symptoms.

9. Walnuts & Macadamia Nuts

Since nuts are high in fat, they should generally not end up in the dog's food bowl. Fresh or unripe walnuts can also be obtained from atoxin-producing fungus be infested. You cannot see it with the naked eye, but it harms the animal. It can cause symptoms such as tremors, convulsions, and even epileptic fits. Macadamia nuts are also toxic to dogs. In addition to high levels of unhealthy phosphorus, the nuts contain onepreviously unexplored toxin.

The toxin affects the digestive and nervous systems and calls Symptomssuch as faintness, paralysis and fever.

10. Alcohol

It is well known that alcoholic beverages are unhealthy. However, the effects that the ethanol it contains on dogs are much stronger than on humans. Basically, it should be a matter of course for every pet owner that the animal roommate no alcohol are allowed to get. If your dog does take a sip of alcohol, it can only break down the toxin slowly and incompletely. Just a few swallows are enough to kill a dog. You should also refrain from alcohol-free beer, as the hops it contains are also poisonous for dogs.

SymptomsDifficulty breathing, acute vomiting, seizures, and difficulty coordinating can occur after consuming alcohol.

What to do in an emergency!

If you have observed your dog eating one of the ten foods, there is an acute suspicion of poisoning. To the common symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting, excessive salivation, tremors, convulsions, and fever. In addition, punctiform bleeding on the mucous membranes and abnormal behavior such as fits of rage or faintness often occur. Depending on what and how much the dog has eaten, there may be other symptoms. In any case, it is important to act quickly!

To help your dog, you should start at the first sign of symptomscontact the veterinarian immediately. A quick examination is especially important if you have not observed what the dog has ingested. If you don't have a way to drive your dog, some cities have one ambulatory animal rescue service. The animal ambulance rushes to help and, in an emergency, organizes transport to the nearest clinic.

How can I prevent poisoning?

To avoid poisoning, it is important to pay close attention to the dog's diet. Teaches your four-legged friend right from the start that they shouldn't eat from the table. Likewise, he shouldn't pick anything up from the street. So always be careful. It is also particularly important that all family members, relatives and visitors to the dog no unauthorized snacks give. What many do not know is that some harmless-looking foods are highly toxic to dogs. So inform everyone who has contact with your dog! This is the only way to protect it from accidental poisoning.