What are some common scams in Maharashtra
Microsoft fraud in Germany : Criminals are apparently increasingly trying to steal passwords over phone calls
In the past few days and weeks, calls from alleged Microsoft technical support staff have increased across Germany - at least numerous regional press reports testify to this. When making these calls, the fraudsters try to persuade those affected to give them access to the PC and sensitive data.
The scam often consists of making those affected believe that their own computer is infected by viruses - and that is why the fraudster needs access to the PC. But the US-American hardware and software developer Microsoft says that it does not call its customers unannounced at all, but rather sends support inquiries almost exclusively by email.
The Federal Association of Consumer Organizations warned against the scam at the beginning of October. The scam is not new - for years there have been reports and complaints about the dubious calls, often in broken English or German.
"If you are called by an alleged Microsoft employee, end the conversation immediately," advises the consumer advice center on its website. "Have you already spoken to the wrong Microsoft employee, disconnect your PC from the network and change your passwords."
The criminal scam is known as “phishing”, in which the perpetrators try to create a trustworthy impression and persuade those affected to divulge sensitive data. Then the criminals install malware, steal the identity for criminal acts or, in extreme cases, can also loot accounts.
6,000 people affected by Microsoft fraud in late summer every month
Microsoft itself reported around 6,000 people affected by fraudulent calls every month for Germany alone in late summer. "The number of unreported cases is high, especially through the masses, the perpetrators achieve a considerable source of income via so-called tech scam," wrote Microsoft spokeswoman Isabel Richter in a corresponding statement.
[If you want to have all the latest news live on your mobile phone, we recommend our completely redesigned app, which you can download here for Apple and Android devices.]
“In addition to fake calls, fraudsters now increasingly use e-mails, infected websites and pop-ups to establish contact with potential victims.” When surfing the Internet, users received informational texts and advertisements that sometimes block the entire screen trick you into downloading malicious software.
According to Richter, the perpetrators themselves believe they are safe in call centers thousands of kilometers away. Neither the German police nor public prosecutors could stop the scams. However, according to Microsoft, there have already been successes in investigations in India, where with German reinforcement, for example, call centers in Calcutta could be scrutinized by the local police.
Microsoft scammers receive bonus payments if they are successful
In such call centers, as in a sales department, employees are motivated to cheat as many people as possible - there are even bonus payments for the particularly successful fraudsters.
[More from the capital. More from the region. More about politics and society. And more useful things for you. That's now available with Tagesspiegel Plus: Try it now for 30 days free of charge.
Microsoft itself advises those affected not to click on unwanted pop-up windows and never give a third party control over their own computer - unless it is ensured that they are an authorized and known representative of IT support, for example from the own company in which one works.
In addition, according to Microsoft, those affected should report the scam as a "tech support scam" in a corresponding online form and report the attempted fraud to the local police.
- How is the US leading the way in 5G
- What is it like not to do through SSB
- What is surface tension? Explain in detail
- Should the programmer learn the database
- How do you plan your daily diet
- What is Godrej Nest in Kandivali Mumbai
- What did Marianne Williamson run for?
- The Las Vegas Strip expands
- What is the anatomy of resilience
- How do you seduce a girl
- Which NFL Franchise is Most Hated
- What are your emotionally necessary swear words
- What's the geekest joke
- Which is better Islamic economy or capitalism
- What are big names in mobile DSP
- Who was America's first notoriety
- Why are you passionate about acting
- What are the Redmi Mobile models
- Is the developer of the Fiverr website reliable
- NIA only has 659 employees
- Who are America's Most Overrated Thinkers?
- Which companies in India are using Slack
- Stack Exchange will fail
- What is it like to be yourself
- Does a chi machine really work medically?
- What does morally weak really mean
- What are some blues rock music
- Why do records sound better?
- Why did you start your blog
- Are you going to do something new today?
- How do I survive a bad teacher
- Do people from Arizona have an accent
- Seriously, girls are very strong
- How would you define polar and non-polar