Toucans eat other baby birds
Wanted poster toucan
|speed||up to 64 km / h|
|nutrition||Fruits, eggs, insects|
|Enemies||Weasels, big birds|
|habitat||Middle and South America|
|features||has a huge but light beak|
The toucan's most noticeable feature is its huge beak. The best known is the giant toucan with the white "bib", the black plumage and the yellow beak. But there are around 45 species of toucan in a wide variety of colors.
Isn't the heavy beak impractical?
The toucan's beak can be four times larger than its own head and up to 20 cm long. It looks incredibly heavy, but in truth it is very light because it is hollow. The researchers do not know exactly why the bird needs such a large beak, but presumably for defense and to impress the ladies. It is also believed that the toucans recognize each other by their beak, as each one has a unique coloration.
You can read more about the function of the beak in the article Toucan - Beak is air conditioning.
Toucan - Photo: Oleksiy Mark / Shutterstock
Where do toucans live?
Most of the time you don't get to see toucans in the dense jungle. They live high up in the treetops and look for small tree hollows there to nest. It's a shame with such a colorful plumage. Who wouldn't want to admire that !?
White-breasted Toucan - Photo: feathercollector / Shutterstock
Toucans are no flight artists
The toucan is not very good at flying and therefore mostly hops from tree to tree.
Toucans sound like frogs
When toucans call, they sound like croaking frogs. In the jungle you can hear them over 500 meters away.
Sleep like toucans
Toucans lay their long beak on their back to sleep. On the other hand, they fold their tail over their head. When they curl up like that, they look like a little ball of feathers!
Collared Arassari - Photo: Eduardo Rivero / Shutterstock
The toucan does not belong to the parrots, but to the woodpecker birds.
Toucans are said to have evil spirits residing in them. In certain religions in South and Central America, a new father is not allowed to eat toucan meat, otherwise his newborn child would be bewitched. Some Indian medicine men had the toucan as a totem to fly with them into the spirit world.
- You might also be interested in:
- Great spotted woodpecker profile
- Watch it now at tierchenwelt.de:
- Video: Animals in the rainforest - such as the toucan
Swainson's Toucan - Photo: Eduardo Rivero / Shutterstock
- Why is ibuprofen practically insoluble in water
- Is the Nikon D5200 a good DSLR?
- What does par mean in golf
- Why do old people forgive so often
- What if there were no films
- Which Clash album is the best
- What is the best material for mattresses
- Will there ever be a president
- What if Israel were built on Mexico?
- You should shave your chest and stomach
- How to download Dhruva 2016
- Is India Today Magazine versus Modi
- Which ashram should you visit in India?
- What did Martin Luther King want
- Why are teenagers addicted to masturbation?
- How much equity should my co-founder get
- Science actually refutes any theism of religion
- Why do Athenian democrats symbolize direct democracy
- What are hormones 2
- AOL still exists as of 2019
- Can anger ever be a feminine trait?
- What will the future of Gwadar be
- High blood pressure causes memory loss
- What's wrong with conservatism
- Which automatic transmission is used in Creta
- What are some books for AIPMT
- What are the best fingerless climbing gloves
- What exactly is digital architecture
- The marginal utility can even be negative
- How can I stop having political obsessions
- What are some examples of cultural relativism
- Who is Lalit Modi
- You should be a nurse