What careers require arts degrees

Information on choosing a career and course of study for upper secondary level. Ent: Students in the lecture hall. Apprenticeship studies profession.


1 Information on choosing a career and course of study for the upper secondary level AU S G A B E / ent: Students in the lecture hall Training Studies Profession Image element: Logo

2 Unfortunately, the information on the following pages cannot be offered barrier-free at this point, as it is automatically generated from a database and displayed in table form. However, all information can also be found via the navigation of the portal on the left. CONTENTS HELP WITH VOCATIONAL DETERMINATION School - and what happens next? ... 3 ways after school - an overview ... 4 What can the career counseling service do for me? ... 6 The career information center (BiZ) ... 7 Study schedule - and career choice ... 8 STUDY, BUT WHERE AND WHAT? University types and degrees in comparison ... 10 Admission procedure for university courses ... 13 Abi 2012? - It's best to dive in before the wave! Tips on dealing with the shortened school time at the grammar school Lexicon for new students ... 16 Study locations in North Rhine-Westphalia ... 19 How do I find the job that suits me? ... 20 ALTERNATIVES ABOUT STUDIES Dual studies and special training ... 22 Differences in vocational training ... 24 The regional offer of company training positions ... 26 Training in the public sector ... 28 APPLICATION Successful application ... 29 Sample letter Sample curriculum vitae BRIDGING Between school and Profession ... 33 TIPS AND INFO Studying abroad ... Info 1 Financial support ... Info 3 And after graduation? ... Info 5 Writings and media from career counseling ... Info 7 Important addresses ... Info 9 Tips from BiZ Rheine Study and work on the Internet ... Info 10 Where can I find my career counseling and the career information center ... Info 12 Imprint ... Info 13 2

3 HELP WITH VOCATIONAL FINDING School - and what comes next? There is no single answer to this question that applies to everyone. The personal requirements, the wishes and ideas that each individual brings with them and of course the possible educational paths at home or in the region are too different. The personal choice of study or the search for a vocational training opportunity is an easy task for some and a difficult problem for others. For all of them, however, it is a decision that should not be left to chance, but should be carefully considered. It is of course up to you whether you decide to study or to undertake in-company or school-based vocational training. Before you make your decision, however, you should take the time to read up on what is on offer. You should think carefully about which of these could be suitable for you and whether your wishes can be realized. Of course, it is not possible to answer all of your questions on the following pages. This is why you can always contact the career counselors for high school graduates at the Rheine Employment Agency directly. We will be happy to help you with your choice of study or career and with the realization of your professional goals. Take advantage of our advice at the Rheine Employment Agency We career counselors in the academic professions team are specialists who can help you find the right solution, regardless of whether you decide to study or do vocational training. We wish you all the best for your career and your future. Kind regards In order to find the person who meets your personal goals in the labyrinth of possible training paths, it is worth taking a look at this booklet. It will be your first guide. Your career counselors for high school graduates Image element: Group of young people 3


5 Study and practice Dual study and special training for high school graduates Dual study at vocational academies, administrative and business academies, technical colleges, universities and in the company Special training in companies / companies Duration 3 to 4 and a half years Final exams: partly in-house partly state recognized z.t. IHK exam Diploma (These degrees are offered less and less frequently. Applications for first-year students are often no longer possible.) / Bachelor's in-company training Duration 2 to 3 and a half years Final examination in recognized training occupations in front of chambers School training at vocational schools, partly Technical schools, technical academies Mainly in the following areas: health and social services, technology and IT design, music, foreign languages, duration 1 to 3 and a half years. state-approved z.t. state recognized z.t. In-school qualifications HELP WITH VOCATIONAL DETERMINATION 5

6 HELP WITH VOCATIONAL FINDING What can career counseling do for me? We, the career counselors at the Employment Agency, would like to help you with your choice of study and career. You can take advantage of our offers before and during your studies, an apprenticeship, but also during the transition to work. Our help is free of charge for you, and the content of our conversations is strictly confidential. We provide information in schools, in BiZ and of course in the Employment Agency about courses of study, training opportunities in companies and schools, tasks and activities in professions, opportunities for specialization and further training, prospects on the training and labor market, application procedures and dates and much more . Image element: smiling student. We will advise you in a personal meeting. You can talk to us about your professional wishes, goals and expectations, but also about your fears or problems. You decide what you want to discuss, and you make the decision for or against a particular training or study course. We arrange apprenticeships and help you with your application. Since we know what companies and schools have to offer, we can help you realize your training wishes. You can also find information on the training courses at. We help financially under the conditions prescribed by law. We can provide you with financial support for the start of and for the duration of in-company or external vocational training. Information is available at> Citizens> Financial Aid> Vocational Training. Study choice test If you are interested in a particular field of study but are still unsure whether it fits your abilities, you can take a free study field-related advice test. This test is carried out by the psychological service in the employment agencies. Registration takes place after a consultation with the career counselor. Every prospective student can use it to check his / her suitability for studying in a philological course, in natural sciences, computer science / mathematics, engineering, economics or law. The tasks to be worked on are tailored to the subject-specific content of the respective field of study. In this way you can test how great the interest is in technical problems and at the same time receive information about the typical requirements of this degree. The test takes about two to three hours to complete. The result is then evaluated individually with each participant. 6th

7 H I L F E B E I D E R B E R U F S F I N D U N G The job information center (BiZ) BiZ what is it? The career information center (BiZ) is the right address for everyone who is about to choose a career or generally make a professional decision. Here you can find out about everything that has to do with apprenticeship, studies and work and look for suitable apprenticeships and jobs. You can use the wide range of free services as often and for as long as you want without registering. If you have any questions about the wide range of information on offer, competent contact persons are available. Events in the BiZ In addition to the comprehensive range of information, many different events take place in the group rooms of the BiZ. Lectures, workshops, discussion groups and job exchanges are offered on topics such as job, application or work abroad. The Employment Agency will provide information about the dates of the event with advertisements and posters, or you can ask BiZ. The central event database of the Federal Employment Agency also provides an overview under> Events. Where is the BiZ? There is a BiZ in every employment agency. You can find out where your next BiZ is in the information section at the end of the brochure. In addition, there are mobile career information centers (BiZ-MOBIL), for example in schools or at career fairs. You can find out when and where a BiZ-MOBIL is used at the Employment Agency. Image element: Information scene at the BiZ information desk And that’s available in BiZ! Computer for using the online offers of the Federal Employment Agency as well as for other professional research on the Internet Illustrated information folders about professions for which a degree is a prerequisite - with the most important information on tasks, activities, requirements, employment prospects and further training Books and magazines to browse around On the subject of the world of work Information from abroad on training and career opportunities in the distance Information material to take away 7

8 The path to a study or apprenticeship position leads from the initial perplexity to the written acceptance through three phases: inform, decide, apply. Educate You should start educating yourself very early. If possible before or in the summer holidays before the penultimate school year. Maybe you still need time to do an internship or two. However, it does not do much to simply find out more information about subjects and professions. It is best to start by finding out what your strengths and interests are, and setting your professional goals. For example, ask yourself: What do you want to achieve, personally and in your job? What skills do you have for this? Which professions could be suitable? If you have a rough idea of ​​which professions might be of interest to you, find out more about them: What does the profession offer? What do you have to do? Are there alternatives? Decide on a general professional direction and / or field of study. If necessary, do an internship to review your decision. Decide Those who started early to find out about professions and courses of study have more time to make a decision. However, you should be aware that the application phase for certain training courses and courses begins as early as February / March of your penultimate school year. So first get more detailed information. If you want to study, for example about the place of study, about admission requirements (they can vary widely!) And about alternatives. If you want to do an apprenticeship, you need information about the place and duration of the training, about the school, physical or other requirements. And of course you should have an alternative here too. In the decision-making phase, you can also start compiling and submitting your application documents for specific company or school-based training and dual study programs. Find out more in good time from your career counseling service, as the requirements can differ in the various federal states. Applying When you have decided on a specific apprenticeship or a course of study, the application process begins. The application deadlines are very different. Here is a brief overview: The application phase for banks, insurance companies and large companies, in some cases for special training courses for high school graduates and dual study programs, begins in February / March of the penultimate school year. Applications for some school-based apprenticeships will start in April / May, some for a career in public authorities and for some special training courses for high school graduates. You should also apply for internships, especially pre-study internships that have to be completed before the start of your studies, so that you can do it during the summer holidays before the last school year. If necessary, you should now also apply for bridging opportunities after graduating from high school, such as an au pair or a voluntary social year. If you want to apply for an apprenticeship at a small or medium-sized company, you should start in July / August at the latest. This is also where the application for some school-based apprenticeships begins, in some cases for a career in government. From January of the last school year, the application phase begins for courses in which you have to take an entrance examination or undergo an aptitude test. The last deadline is usually July 15th of each year. By then, applications to universities or the University Admissions Foundation must have been sent to if you want to start studying in the following winter semester (the application deadline for the summer semester is usually January 15). Of course there are plenty of exceptions, for example in some federal states and for certain aptitude assessment procedures. The specific dates should be inquired about during the information and decision-making phase at the companies, universities or at the career counseling service. Studies, training or the bridging period then begin in summer or autumn. In the application phase, you should also note the following: Find out about the application formalities in good time, for example whether you need to send the application documents to the university or hochschulstart.de. Online applications are often also possible. Anyone who is interested in a (nationwide or university-internal) admission-restricted course of study but does military, civil or other recognized alternative service after graduating should apply to hochschulstart.de or the desired university before starting the service. If you get a place at university, you are entitled to the place again when you apply again. Here is a brief, chronological overview again: Ideally, the information phase begins more than two years before the start of training or studies. Around a year and a half beforehand, the application phase for in-company training at banks, insurance companies, large companies, for some school-based training occupations and for special training for high school graduates and dual study programs begins. In April / May, but at the latest in July / August, of the penultimate school year, the application phase for internships, school-based training and careers in authorities begins, if necessary also for bridging opportunities after graduation. From January of the last school year or one year before the start of studies, you usually have to register for courses with an entrance examination / aptitude test. As a rule, all other application deadlines for the coming winter semester run until July 15. Send your application either directly to the universities or to hochschulstart.de. The apprenticeship or studies usually begin in September / October. Please note: Ideally, your choice of study and career should follow the following schedule. Your personal schedule can of course be different. H I L F E B E I D E R B E R U F S F I N D U N G Note: Ideally, the choice of study and career should follow the course of time. Your personal schedule can of course be different. 8th

9 1 The application deadline for the summer semester is

10 S T U D I E R E N, A B E R W O U N D W A S? University types and degrees in comparison One degree is not just one degree! Here you can find out how the individual types of university differ, what requirements must be met and what degrees are available. Universities / Technical Universities It is characterized by its research-oriented scientific orientation. This means that training young scientists is only part of their job. In addition, a very wide range of subjects is usually offered. There are also specialized universities: including church and philosophical-theological universities for Protestant and Catholic theology or the universities of the Bundeswehr for prospective officers. Admission requirements are usually the Abitur (general higher education entrance qualification) or the subject-related higher education entrance qualification. With the Abitur all courses can be studied, with a subject-related higher education entrance qualification only certain ones. In addition, there are further admission restrictions for numerous courses. These apply either nationwide or the universities determine them themselves. Art, music and sport universities They only offer courses in their subject area. Successful studies at these universities require, in addition to the university entrance qualification, creative, musical or sporting talent. Therefore, the admission is connected with successfully passed aptitude tests. Universities of Applied Sciences / Universities of Applied Sciences Universities of applied sciences pursue an application-oriented scientific approach. In other words, the course there does not shed light on the scientific background, but is geared more towards the requirements in practice. That is why they often call themselves the University of Applied Sciences. In contrast to universities, the range of subjects at universities of applied sciences is somewhat limited, because certain courses, such as medicine or teaching, are usually only offered at universities. The entry requirement for a course of study is at least the advanced technical college entrance qualification. Some universities of applied sciences also require that a subject-specific internship be completed before the start of the course. At many universities, the gates are now also open to experienced practitioners without a technical college entrance qualification. Vocational academies / dual universities When studying at a vocational academy, you alternate between theoretical phases at the academy and practical phases in a company. In some cases, two degrees can be obtained at the same time: in a recognized training occupation and in a course of study. Prerequisites for a degree are usually a technical college entrance qualification or a high school diploma as well as the conclusion of a training contract with a company that participates in this form of training. In Baden-Württemberg, the vocational academies have been called dual universities since 2009 and are officially recognized as universities. Private universities Private universities offer the opportunity to study intensively in small groups, often including internships and stays abroad. As a rule, tuition fees are charged for this, some of which can be much higher than at state universities. However, models for financing the fees are often also offered. 10

11 Degree titles for the bachelor's and master’s degree programs Bachelor of Arts (BA) Master of Arts (MA) subject groups Language and cultural studies Sport, sports science Social science Art studies Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) Master of Science (M.Sc.) Mathematics Natural Sciences Medicine (Does not apply to the state-regulated courses of study that lead to the state examination) Agricultural, forestry and nutritional sciences Degrees Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) Master of Science (M.Sc.) or Bachelor of Engineering (B. Eng.) Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) Subject groups Engineering Sciences Degrees According to the content of the course: Bachelor of Arts (BA) Master of Arts (MA) or Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) Master of Science (M. Sc.) Subject groups Economics Degrees Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) Master of Laws (LL.M.) Subject groups Law (Does not apply to the state-regulated apply to degree programs that end with the state examination) Degrees Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) Master of Fine Arts (MFA) or Bachelor of Arts (BA) Master of Arts (MA) Subject groups Fine Arts Artistic applied degree programs, performing arts Bachelor of Music degrees (B.Mus.) Master of Music (M.Mus.) Subject groups Music Degrees Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) Master of Education (M.Ed.) Subject groups Teacher training courses (Does not apply to the state-regulated courses of study that lead to the state examination complete) Source: Standing Conference STUDY, ABERWOUNDWAS? What degrees are there? Bachelor The internationally recognized Bachelor degree is acquired after three to four years of study. Depending on the course and university, there is the option of studying either just one major subject or one major subject combined with one or two minor subjects. With a bachelor's degree, you can either go straight into professional life or pursue a master’s degree. Masters Anyone who would like to gain further academic qualifications after successfully completing their studies can follow up with a master’s degree. It takes one to two years and can often be completed in whole or in part abroad. If the content of the master’s course builds directly on the previous course, one speaks of a consecutive, otherwise of a non-consecutive master’s. There are also further education master’s courses for which, in addition to a degree, practical work experience is required. These courses of study are increasingly offered part-time. The decision on admission to the master’s degree lies with the universities. The master’s degree is also an internationally recognized degree. FYI: With the bachelor's and master's degree programs, the strict separation between studies at different types of universities, such as universities and technical colleges, is softened, as the degrees are offered at almost all universities. The decision for a certain type of university should therefore be made more dependent on the professional profile of the course, not so much on the type of university. For example, anyone who is faced with the choice between a bachelor's degree in business administration at a university of applied sciences and a university should make the decision dependent on whether the orientation and focus of the course at the desired university correspond to the professional ideas. 11

12 S T U D I E R E N, A B E R W O U N D W A S? Diploma (enrollment is often no longer possible) Courses with clearly defined study requirements and structures are completed with a diploma. This university examination is based on nationally valid and binding framework regulations. Above all, diplomas conclude the study of natural, engineering, economic and social sciences and generally enable them to start their professional career. Magister Artium (enrollment is often no longer possible) Magister degrees are university examinations that are mainly taken in the linguistic, cultural and social sciences. The master’s degree requires a combination of two or three subjects, depending on interests and professional plans. Image element: Four students sitting in the lecture hall State examination (state examination) State examinations are taken in accordance with state examination regulations at state examination offices. This currently still applies to the study of human, veterinary and dental medicine, pharmacy, food chemistry and law. The teacher training courses, on the other hand, have already been converted to the Bachelor and Master system in many federal states. Teachers and lawyers must complete at least two years of preparatory service (legal traineeship) and a second state examination after completing their master’s degree or the first state examination in order to be able to practice their profession. Doctorate With a few exceptions, a doctorate is a prerequisite for an academic career and requires a master's degree, diploma, master's degree or state examination. A bachelor's degree is not enough. To complete the doctorate, which you can usually only do at one university, you have to write a doctoral thesis, which usually takes several years. 12

13 S T U D I E R E N, A B E R W O U N D W A S? Admission procedure for university courses You have passed the Abitur and have decided on a course. However, you cannot just get started, because not every degree program is freely accessible. For many courses, the number of applicants exceeds the number of free places many times over. That is why there are admission restrictions for these courses, which are either set nationwide or which each university regulates itself. You can find out whether a course is restricted in admission and which entry requirements have to be met on the website of the university of your choice under (this is the newly established Foundation for University Admission, the successor to the Central Office for the Allocation of Study Places (ZVS)) under (the database the University Rectors' Conference) and of course from the local career and study advisors. Internal university selection process For many courses there are local admission restrictions at universities. The university uses its own selection process to select the right students for the respective subject. The main selection criterion is the average Abitur grade, but other criteria can also be used, for example: results of study aptitude tests, selection interview, letter of motivation, consideration of professional experience and internships, special weighting of individual grades. But don't worry if your admission doesn't work right away: It can happen that not all admitted applicants accept their place of study. These are then redistributed in a multi-stage replacement process. You can use the remaining space exchange at to get an overview and register for the lottery for the remaining spaces. Prospective students of music, sports, visual arts or design, sometimes also of foreign languages, generally have to undergo tests or submit folders with their own work, as talents in these subjects are not only reflected in the high school graduation mark. The universities determine how these aptitude tests look in detail. Meanwhile, more and more universities are using the opportunity to allocate their study places via the so-called service procedure of hochschulstart.de, even if there are no nationwide admission restrictions. That means, you apply online at. Here you can also find out which courses are being awarded in the current semester using this procedure. Selection process for nationwide admission-restricted courses of study hochschulstart.de also regulates the awarding of state examination courses in human medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry and pharmacy at all state universities in Germany. The nationwide admission restricted study places are distributed as follows: 20 percent are awarded to the applicants with the best Abitur grades. 20 percent go to the applicants with the longest waiting time. The universities can allocate the remaining 60 percent themselves (usually as in the university-internal selection process). The application documents are only sent to hochschulstart.de, not to the respective university. Waiting time: This is the time that has elapsed since obtaining the university entrance qualification, measured in six months. However, you do not need to put yourself on a waiting list or apply regularly to the university. For example, those who first complete vocational training or do military or community service after graduating from high school are credited with the corresponding number of semesters as waiting time. Attention: Semesters that you are enrolled at a German university, regardless of the subject, do not count as a waiting period! 13th

14 S T U D I E R E N, A B E R W O U N D W A S? Application deadlines: New students for degree programs with restricted admission nationwide and degree programs that are awarded via the service process must submit their documents via hochschulstart.de by July 15 of each year. Former high school graduates (i.e. those who graduated from high school in the previous year or earlier) must also apply for the service procedure by July 15, but by May 31 for the nationwide admission-restricted courses. Regardless of whether you are a new or old high school graduate, if you want to start in the summer semester, the application deadline is January 15th. The dates July 15 and January 15 usually also apply to applications to universities with internal selection procedures. But there are exceptions. You should therefore find out more from the universities in good time. Free access For courses for which there are no admission restrictions, you can simply enroll (= matriculate) directly at the university of your choice, provided you have a university entrance qualification. Nevertheless, you often have to observe pre-registration or enrollment deadlines here too! Therefore, inquire in good time about appointments and whether and which documents you may still need. You can get information from the university or from the career counseling for academic professions. Image element: a student in the library 14

15 STUDY, BUT WHERE AND WHAT? Abi 2012? - It's best to immerse yourself in front of the wave! Tips for dealing with the reduction in school time at grammar school Bildelement: Young people The changeover from the nine-year to the eight-year grammar school (G8) will be completed in 2013. Then about additional high school graduates will look for an apprenticeship or a university place in NRW. If you obtain your degree in 2012, you will not be directly affected by the so-called "double Abitur class 2013". However, it is advisable to keep an eye on the development in 2013. Our tips for graduating from high school in 2012 Getting started in 2012 In 2013 the competition for apprenticeship and university places will be greater. So it's best to start your apprenticeship or studies in 2012. Then you are on the safe side. Orientation at an early stage Orientate yourself to career opportunities at an early stage during your school days. You can only implement it quickly if you have a plan for the time after graduation. Postpone the "time out" after graduation until later You can integrate a stay abroad or an internship into your studies. In some apprenticeships, an assignment abroad is already possible during the apprenticeship. No panic! The universities and many employers know that the double Abitur class is coming in 2013. If you cannot start your apprenticeship or studies until 2013, this does not mean that you automatically have no chance. There are many options here too. Let us advise you! The Abitur counselors in the career counseling department have dealt intensively with the reduction in school time and the double Abitur year. They are experts in career choice and career planning. Talk to them about your questions about how to get off to a good start with Abitur 2012. You can reach your advisor either at the local employment agency or during the consultation hour at your school. 15th

16 STUDY, BUT WHERE AND WHAT? Lexicon for first-year students Here, prospective students will find some explanations of terms for their debut on the academic floor in order to get in the mood and to ask qualified questions. Academic quarter: c.t./s.t. C.t. is the abbreviation for cum tempore (Latin for time). This means that courses start a quarter of an hour later than indicated, but usually without any special announcement in the course catalog. This is the normal case. Unless you find a time with the addition s.t. (sine tempore, Latin without time). This means that the event starts on time without adding the academic quarter hour. Accreditation Accreditation means the temporary recognition of study programs. For this purpose, so-called accreditation agencies review the study programs according to certain principles and minimum standards specified by the Accreditation Council. In this way, the Accreditation Council, which is made up of representatives from the federal states, universities, professional practice and students, ensures the quality of teaching and studies. Bachelor See pages Bologna Process In 1999 the ministers responsible for higher education from 29 European countries decided in Bologna, Italy, to create a common European higher education area. In the course of this process, for example, all courses of study will be converted to Bachelor's and Master's degrees and the credit point system will be introduced. Credit Points In the bachelor's and master’s degree programs, academic achievements are assessed differently than in the old diploma and master’s degree programs. In this system, courses are called modules. Depending on the degree of difficulty and workload, these are assessed with a certain number of credit points (credit points, also known as ECTS points, from the European Credit Transfer System). If the event is successfully completed, these credit points will be credited to you. Your performance will also be assessed. These grades are proportionately included in the final grade. In the case of full-time study, the enrolled should collect 30 such credit points per semester.A bachelor's degree with six semesters thus comprises a volume of at least 180 credit points that you must acquire by the end of your studies. The advantage of this system: The credit points are also valid at other universities in Germany and abroad. This makes it easier to get credit for academic achievements when changing universities. Diploma Supplement This evidence is attached to the diploma of a bachelor's or master's degree and is a kind of short summary of the course of study. In addition to personal information, the Diploma Supplement contains information about the type of degree, the status (state or private) of the university awarding the degree, the degree program in general (e.g. admission requirements or study requirements) as well as an overview of all achievements during the degree . Aptitude test For some courses, such as art, interior design, music or sports, in addition to the university entrance qualification, special aptitude is required, which must be proven by tests. Depending on the course of study, this is done, for example, by submitting a work folder with your own artistic and creative work, by performing or by taking a sports aptitude test. Universities are also increasingly relying on aptitude tests for studying medicine, initially primarily in Baden-Württemberg and on a voluntary basis. In the so-called medical test, an applicant's ability to study medicine is tested. A good test result can increase the chances of getting a place at university. Since aptitude tests are often carried out before the general application deadlines for a university course, you should obtain specific information about dates and application documents at least one year before the intended start of the course. 16

17 STUDY, BUT WHERE AND WHAT? Student council The student council is the organization of students in a department and represents their interests. Often you can get scripts or other materials from lectures or seminars there. In addition, the representatives of a student council organize orientation days for freshmen or answer questions from fellow students. You can contact the student council via the university's website or via the academic advisory service. Internal university selection process If the number of places in a university program is limited, there is a local admission restriction there. Then the university selects the right students for the respective subject using internal university procedures. When making the selection, the universities can include different criteria in addition to the average Abitur grade. Possible procedures are interviews, studies aptitude tests, the special weighting of individual grades, the consideration of professional training or practical experience. A combination of several methods is also possible. Enrollment The same applies to all courses of study, regardless of whether they have restricted admission or not: You must personally enroll (matriculate) in order to begin your studies. Each university will inform you when and where this enrollment will take place and which documents you will need. After enrollment, you will be issued with a certificate of enrollment and usually sent to you by post. Fellow students These are all fellow students enrolled at your university. Introductory events for freshmen offer an excellent opportunity to make initial contacts! Also take the opportunity to talk to fellow students in higher semesters. Their study experience can often be very helpful. Master See pages module The tiered Bachelor and Master courses are characterized by a new structure of the course. All courses are modularized. This means that they are grouped into thematically related event blocks, called modules, for each of which an overall grade is awarded. Each module is assessed with a different number of credit points, based on the amount of time and work that students need to attend the module. Each successfully completed module is described in detail in the diploma supplement. Numerus clausus (NC) This term means limited numbers and is used when a course of study has restricted admission. This is the case if there are more applicants than places available or if special requirements are placed on the suitability of those interested in studying. The term is used both in the selection process for the nationwide admission-restricted courses of study and in university-internal admission procedures. Colloquially, the term NC is often used as a term for the average grade in the Abitur, but this is incorrect: The NC is not a predetermined value, but results from the number of applicants for the study places and is recalculated every semester. Re-registration At the end of the lecture period of a semester, students have to formally declare their intention to continue studying in the next semester. If you fail to re-register, you can be de-registered and lose the right to continue your studies. The university will inform you of the dates for re-registration in good time. Semester Half a year of studies is called a semester. The academic year is usually divided into a winter semester (WS) and a summer semester (SS). The semester includes the lecture period and the lecture-free period, including the so-called semester break. 17th

18 STUDY, BUT WHERE AND WHAT? Seminar Unlike a lecture, this course provides for the active participation of the students, for example in the form of presentations or written work. The number of participants is usually limited and attendance is compulsory. Therefore, pre-registrations are often necessary or additional requirements, such as proof of participation in preliminary courses. Study regulations / examination regulations Study and examination regulations regulate the structure, content and scope of a degree program. Even if the exam is still a long way off: Those who know about admission requirements, registration deadlines for exams or the recognition of qualifications acquired elsewhere can plan their studies effectively. The examination regulations also help you to put together your timetable. You can find out important information about study and examination regulations as well as relevant dates from the examination office or the dean's office, often on the university's homepage. Lecture This type of course takes place in the form of a lecture in a lecture hall. As a rule, there is little or no opportunity here to inquire or debate. Course directory You can find out which courses are suitable for you in the course directory. This directory, published by a university, appears every semester or every year and is usually available in bookshops in the university location. All important names, addresses, telephone numbers, information and of course the place, time and topics of the events are listed in the publication. For the individual subjects there are annotated course catalogs (KVV), in which the contents of all courses during a semester are described in more detail. These course catalogs are available from the respective institutes of the university. The so-called study guides are also of particular interest to first-year students. There you will find detailed information on all courses of study in a specific subject (e.g. from the field of economics, humanities, etc.) as well as general information on the start of the course. Lecture directories and study guides can often be found on the university's homepage on the Internet. ZVS selection process See pages for picture element: Lecture hall scene 18

19 STUDY, BUT WHERE AND WHAT? Study locations in North Rhine-Westphalia Image element: Overview map of universities in North Rhine-Westphalia 19

20 STUDIES, BUT WHERE AND WHAT? How do I find the job that suits me? You can always start with getting clear about your own goals. It would be ideal if you knew at least a year before the end of school which career paths would be suitable for you. But how do you find out? Start with an inventory. Which paths are basically open to me? Are there certain topics or areas that I am particularly interested in? Do I know my strengths? What weak points do I see in myself; do I want to and can I change something about it? Do I have enough information about interesting professions, areas of work or courses of study? Perhaps you can think of other questions about this. The best thing to do is to write down your answers. Formulating helps you think! Also, discuss your considerations with people you trust. You are likely to get completely new impressions of yourself when you know how others see you. Studies or training? First of all, the big question is: study or training? With the (technical) university entrance qualification, both paths are open to you. If you are already interested in a certain subject or if you like to approach a topic from the theoretical side, then the decision to study is an obvious one. But there are also interesting study opportunities for people with a penchant for practical work: practical semesters are integrated into many Bachelor’s degree programs, and so-called dual degree programs combine training in the company with studying at a university or academy. If you want to link theory and practice even more closely and are looking for a quick start into professional life, in-company or school-based vocational training is ideal. During company-based training (and also with some school-based training), you also receive a training allowance. Which course of study or which apprenticeship is right for me? The next step is to find out what you are suitable for. After all, your skills and interests are a good guide when choosing the right course of study or the right training. The following consideration is helpful when deciding on the right subject or the right apprenticeship: What are my inclinations and interests? You can ask yourself the following questions, among others: In which subjects was or am I good at school? What else am I interested in? Which subject areas are incompatible with my preferences? Which study subjects or apprenticeships are therefore suitable for me? The favorite subjects at school, hobbies or part-time jobs provide initial clues about interests that should be used when choosing a course or training occupation. If you are interested in a certain course of study but are not sure whether it corresponds to your personal abilities, you can take a free study field-related advice test. This test is carried out by the psychological service in the employment agencies. Every prospective student can use it to check his / her suitability for a degree. These tests are currently available for natural sciences, engineering, economics, computer science / mathematics, philological courses and law. You are also welcome to arrange a personal consultation with your career counseling service. We try to explore your interests, skills and knowledge together with you. In this way you can find out which degree or apprenticeship you would be best suited for. Internships are a great way to check whether your ideas about a job match reality. In this way, you can get a more precise picture of the activities in everyday professional life and the requirements. The more information you gather about an occupation, the easier it will be for you to make a decision for or against it. 20th

21 picture element: relaxed young people STUDY, BUT WHERE AND WHAT? Where can I get more information about courses? abi >> information folders in the career information center Professions for which a degree is a prerequisite are described as examples in the abi >> information folders, which can be viewed in the BiZ. The professions are assigned to 27 different professional fields or portfolios. Other media You can find information on courses of study on the Internet (for example under or in publications from the career counseling service, for example in Study & Career Choice. Course Catalog) Find out about the subjects that are of interest to you at the university of your choice, the easiest via the course directory on their homepage. Visiting the university Spend a day at the university and attend lectures in your field of study. Many universities also offer information days or so-called taster courses especially for schoolchildren. Students ask questions Talk to students about their studies and inquire Contact the student representative (Fachschaft) about the study conditions on site. Student advisory service If you have specific questions, arrange a meeting with the student advisory service at the respective university. It also offers useful help, especially for questions about admission. Where can I get more information about A training professions? Media You can find more information on apprenticeships on the Internet (for example in BERUFENET under or in various publications from the career counseling service, for example in BERUF AKTUELL. Internship A student internship or holiday internship gives you the opportunity to get a taste of the job you want. You must, however take care of it in good time, as the places are often filled quickly. Parents, friends, acquaintances Ask the people in your circle of relatives and acquaintances what they like about their job and what they don't. Maybe someone even knows a company that does the job they are looking for trains. 21