Why is my new dryer not drying?
Tumble dryer stops drying: causes and solutions
Sometimes it should be quick: You don't have any clean bed linen in your closet, but you have a visitor and you want to move into your guest bed the same evening. So you can't wait days for it to dry completely on the line. Fortunately, there are tumble dryers that can get your laundry cupboard dry within an hour or less - provided they work properly. If your laundry does not come out of the dryer according to the set program, but is still too damp or the appliance does not start at all, you do not necessarily need to call a technician into the house. UPDATED tells you what causes a defective tumble dryer and what solutions there are for this problem that you can tackle yourself.
The tumble dryer does not dry - have you selected the wrong setting?
First of all, check whether the lack of drying effect is perhaps due to the setting. A dryer usually has different drying levels, including “Iron damp”, “Cupboard dry” and “Extra dry”. In order to save energy, it can make sense to choose a shorter drying time, but then it can happen that the laundry is still damp after the process is finished. The designation “Cupboard dry” is sometimes a little confusing, as the clothes are often still a little damp at this levelso that you can put them in the closet without hesitation, but you don't want to put them on just yet. So first check whether the desired results can be achieved with a higher drying level.
Tumble dryer does not dry - is laundry fluff to blame?
If your tumble dryer does not dry your clothes at all or does not dry them to the extent you want, although the settings are correct, this does not necessarily mean that something on the device is broken. Over time, laundry fluff collects in the dryer, which can clog the sieve or get caught in front of sensors and thus limit the function of the tumble dryer. Proceed as follows to check whether lint is the reason for the lack of drying properties of the device and to remove it.
1. Clean the fluff filter
The tumble dryer lint filter should be cleaned regularly, at the latest after three drying processes - and not only when the dryer indicates that the filter is full. How to proceed:
- You will find the sieve on almost all models below the dryer door in the frame inside the machine. It is seldom integrated directly into the door. Simply pull out the sieve and fold it open if your model has a folding device.
- To clean, you can use a soft brush or simply your hands, which you should dampen slightly beforehand - this will help the lint catch on your fingers.
- Then check the sieve for holes or breaks in the frame. If you find any damage, replace the fluff filter with a new one from a specialist retailer.
- Finally, pay attention to the door frame and the door seal. Laundry fluff also likes to get caught here.
2. Clean the temperature sensor
The temperature sensor is responsible for transmitting the correct temperature to the dryer. If laundry fluff has caught on it, the dryer may stop the drying process prematurely. You will usually find the sensor in the front part of the device near the fluff filter. Look here for a metal bump that is encased in plastic and often looks like a button battery. We recommend cleaning the sensor with a soft cloth.
3. Clean the condenser
If you have a condenser dryer that, in contrast to the exhaust air dryer, is equipped with a technique for collecting the water, it is important to clean the condenser from time to time. This is mostly hidden behind a flap in the lower area of the front. If you push open or unscrew this flap (depending on the mechanism), you can pull out the condenser without any further tools and remove laundry fluff from the lamellas either with a hairdryer on the highest setting or with water in the bathtub.
Tumble dryer too full?
Each dryer comes with an instruction manual on which the maximum load of damp laundry is noted. This is usually between three and nine kilos. You should not exceed this under any circumstances, otherwise the laundry may still be damp despite a long drying process, because the hot air inside the drum cannot circulate as it should. There is also another unpleasant side effect: the laundry becomes more wrinkled if there is not enough space in the drum to unfold in the truest sense of the word.
Has the tumble dryer overheated?
If you carry out several drying processes in a row, the machine may overheat and then no longer dry properly. If you have this fear, as the device feels hotter than usual through the casing, switch off the dryer and wait three hours until the device has completely cooled down again. Then try to start a new process.
If there is no improvement, also check whether a fuse on the dryer has blown. These are usually behind the drum, but the space varies from device to device. So look in your operating instructions to find out where the fuses are, disconnect the dryer from the power and replace the defective fuse if necessary.
Does the tumble dryer have a technical defect?
If the previous measures have not resulted in any improvements, check as far as you can to see whether there could be a technical defect. So you can easily check possible sources of error yourself:
Unplug the tumble dryer from the power supply before doing any further investigations.
- Test that the drum can be turned completely. This is important, otherwise the drying effect will decrease or the program will not even start. If the drum jams, an object may have got stuck behind it. You can remove this by loosening the screws on the cladding and looking at the outside of the drum. To do this, refer to the operating instructions for the device. The V-belt could also be damaged. You can also change this yourself with the help of the instructions for use, but this requires manual skill.
- If you have an exhaust air dryer, check whether the exhaust air hose on the rear of the device is damaged or heavily soiled and replace it if necessary. You can usually simply unscrew this from the dryer and screw it back in in the opposite direction. Dirt can be easily removed by holding the pipe of your vacuum cleaner in the hose and sucking out balls of fluff or similar things.
What can and cannot be put in the tumble dryer?
Not every type of clothing is suitable for the tumble dryer. You can find out whether you can dry an item of clothing without hesitation on the care label on your textiles. There you will find a circle that was printed into a square. This is the general dryer symbol. If this is crossed out with a cross, you should only air dry the garment on the clothesline. If there is a point in the circle, you should dry the laundry on a gentle cycle at a low temperature. If there are two points in a circle, you can safely dry your outfit in the tumble dryer.
- Also check the door seal, which you can see without dismantling the dryer into its individual parts. If water or heat escapes from the door during the drying process or if it closes poorly due to a deformed seal, this is an unmistakable sign that the door seal is damaged. To install a new window seal, follow the instructions for use for your device.
If the dryer does not give off any heat at all, a heating element may be broken or the electronics may have malfunctioned. Often only a specialist can help with such defects.
Defects can often be remedied
If your tumble dryer no longer dries properly, there is no need to buy a new one. Because usually the device only has one problem that can be remedied. The wrong setting, a full fluff filter, too full a load or overheating are the most common causes. In order to get to the bottom of the problem, you should take the time to observe the symptoms on the machine. This can ultimately save a lot of money.
Disclaimer OTTO (GmbH & Co KG) assumes no liability for the correctness, topicality, completeness, effectiveness and harmlessness of the information and recommendations made available on updated.de. It is expressly pointed out that the official manufacturer's specifications are to be observed before all other information and recommendations and only these can guarantee a safe and proper use of the respective purchased items.
- How to make egg bread
- What made your day as a kid
- What are the top 10 academic journals
- What is the Hunger Games
- What does an epidemiologist do
- Where is the island of Tiran
- Could this happen nowadays
- What air force bases are there in California
- What are good high performance gaming laptops
- What is the best free online CRM
- Is my EKG report normal?
- How many VC companies went under
- Where is the ark
- What would happen if the momentum disappeared?
- What is a Treadstone Agent
- Who is the Norwegian Prime Minister
- How are the judges appointed
- Can you help speak English
- What should everyone know about Bristol
- What is quantum numbers in short
- What is the strangest museum in Ukraine
- What's your favorite Christmas movie 1
- Which facial treatment is good for dry skin
- Is the army disability pension taxable?
- What are the main factors of 34
- Is Warangal a safe city
- Who are Blueocean Market Intelligences Competitors
- Which country has two houses?
- What is the full form of MATLAB
- Place names are protected by copyright
- Is Manchester safe at night
- What is meant by khatun
- Do you wish you were completely invulnerable
- Why are salts water-soluble